Using Sea water

EdwinW

Need some advice on using seawater in an aquarium, how long can it be stored, also if i get rocks from the ocean and they dry out, will it kill all the good stuff on it.

lmforbis

No to seawater unless you have access to 2 micron filters to get the bacteria, and parasites out of it. It would have to be seawater consistent with where the fish come from and collected away from shore where the pollutants are. Say you lived on a Caribbean island and had a boat so you could get clean fresh water when you need it and can filter it then it will work. If you live in Texas no don’t do it.

lmforbis

Rocs from the ocean aren’t worth it. Many places where there are thriving reefs it is illegal to collect rock. The drying process will kill good and bad stuff. Much of the cool stuff won’t survive in an aquarium anyway. You are better off getting some dry rock from a retailer, and adding a couple live rocks.

Alex.M.

Need some advice on using seawater in an aquarium, how long can it be stored, also if i get rocks from the ocean and they dry out, will it kill all the good stuff on it.
I had similar ideas of using fresh saltwater from the ocean and rocks from my local beach area. But i will have to agree with the person above, its a bad idea. I live on the coast so I know how easy it would be to go out on a boat to collect ocean water. It would also save me major $$ if i could do it. As stated above, both the rocks and ocean water will have bacteria (think of red tide) and parasites on them that will hurt your fish.

Most marine life who grew up in the ocean will have developed immune systems that are capable of fighting these bacteria and parasites to some degree. However fish that were born and raise in captivity simply do not have that strong of immune systems. I mean think about it, how much do we (humans) stress about Ph, water temps, lighting, water condition, and so many others items when it comes to our tanks. Compared to their wild relatives our aquarium fish live like kings lol.

EdwinW

Thanks for the advice, reason i asked is because i have been using seawater for like six months now and i have had only one fish die, a blue tang, all the fish in there are over 6 months and all are lively, eat like hogs, the rocks were taken from the shore line, sand was from the beach and so is the water i use, maybe it is not so deadly as thought, i have a yellow tang, 2 clown fish, 2 spotted green puffers and a firefish goby, i think and from what i read, i killed the blue tang by topping off the tank with sea water instead of fresh water and the salinity went up to 1.042

Alex.M.

Thanks for the advice, reason i asked is because i have been using seawater for like six months now and i have had only one fish die, a blue tang, all the fish in there are over 6 months and all are lively, eat like hogs, the rocks were taken from the shore line, sand was from the beach and so is the water i use, maybe it is not so deadly as thought, i have a yellow tang, 2 clown fish, 2 spotted green puffers and a firefish goby, i think and from what i read, i killed the blue tang by topping off the tank with sea water instead of fresh water and the salinity went up to 1.042
For the most part, the seawater is perfectly fine. its the just the minor chance that you happen to collect seawater that has some bad bacteria or red tide or polluted with human crap thus you kill all your fish and make it so you have start over with a tank and everything. I used red tide in my biology class and it can survive anything! its like the cockroach of the bacteria world. lol

EdwinW

For the most part, the seawater is perfectly fine. its the just the minor chance that you happen to collect seawater that has some bad bacteria or red tide or polluted with human crap thus you kill all your fish and make it so you have start over with a tank and everything. I used red tide in my biology class and it can survive anything! its like the cockroach of the bacteria world. lol
Well i live on a very small island and the current is always moving, there are no rivers or industrial factories to worry about water run off, so far i have been fine, even storing the seawater outside in the sun for over a week before i use it.

Alex.M.

Well i live on a very small island and the current is always moving, there are no rivers or industrial factories to worry about water run off, so far i have been fine, even storing the seawater outside in the sun for over a week before i use it.
Hey if I lived in those perfect conditions, I would probably use the ocean as well. I live off the coast near Tampa Fl, and sometimes I question whether I would go into the ocean. People are just gross and it's not just run off, but litter as well. Anyway, good luck with your tank, I'm sure your fish love the fresh ocean and its minerals.

EdwinW

Hey if I lived in those perfect conditions, I would probably use the ocean as well. I live off the coast near Tampa Fl, and sometimes I question whether I would go into the ocean. People are just gross and it's not just run off, but litter as well. Anyway, good luck with your tank, I'm sure your fish love the fresh ocean and its minerals.
Yea they do, and i live to the south of Miami in the Cayman Islands.