Walk around tank with no visible mechanical parts question

Kurk

Hi, My name is Kurk and I just joined this Forum minutes ago. I know this might be an odd question but please bear with me. Years ago I owned a All Glass 120 saltwater aquarium and went out of my way to design it so that ALL YOU SAW was fish and artificial decorations and rocks. I went to great lengths to design it this way and am in the process of trying to start on another one (sold the original which was a BIG mistake) but I may have designed it wrong. I'm currently having problems finding a 90 or 125 gallon tank without a tempered bottom so I can drill three holes in the bottom ... but that's another topic. My last design had three three holes drilled in the bottom with bulkhead fittings. One brought water down to a huge pool like canister filter and the other returned water back into the tank. The middle hole was a LifeGard bulkhead dual air stone with a check valve installed. I had one of those egg crate home made gravel beds with screen over it and then gravel on top of the screen. Had cut just enough room in screen to allow 3/4" pvc pipe attached and coming up out of the bulkheads and then I hide the high return with a old looking bottle and the other shorter pipe with a round artificial (dome shaped) piece of rock coral. Unless you were looking hard you couldn't see anything but fish .... no mechanical stuff or even pipes for the most part. By having the one pipe returning water back to and into my canister filter located "above" the gravel bed was that making my gravel bed actually somewhat ineffective ? It seemed to work great .... especially with this nice canister filter setup. Had a Little Giant for my pump and a Nu-Clear Model 533 - 30 sq. ft. 25 Micron Filter. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Sorry for the novel and hope I havn't confused you.