Search results

1. wax32

Help with Damsel ID!

My LFS gets these in from time to time, just listed on the shipper's pricelists as small damsels.... He has some in a nano in the shop that have been there quite a while and have stayed about 1" in size. I decided to try a few in my 15g nano. I picked up 3, one of which disappeared after a...
  2. wax32

wax32's 15g Oceanic

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, but I haven't gotten out of the hobby... Last summer I downsized from my 70 Oceanic to a 15 gallon custom from Oceanic. The 70 was in my snake room and there was just no way to sit in there and enjoy it. The 15 is now in the living room, so I...
  3. wax32

Chronic Diarrhea caused by Your Tank?

Anyone ever get a bad bout of chronic diarrhea after working in your tank and maybe not washing your hands as well as you should? I read an article http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/123/6/409#FN saying Cyanobacteria can cause CD, which I have had for the last five days (I cleaned algae...
  4. wax32

My 70 gallon

Here is a current shot of my 70 gallon which has been up and running since being restarted 10-7-05 after Hurricane Katrina killed it. Fish: Dascyllus trimaculatus, Chrysiptera cyanea, Synchiropus picturatus, Cryptocentrus cinctus, Halichoeres iridis, Salarias fasciatus Coral: Discosoma spp...
  5. wax32

Hermit Crab 101:

[Repost of previous broken thread.] I thought it would be useful to have a thread for hermit crab info. I'll start by posting the ones I have. Feel free to post up shots of any different ones you may have! I'll add a brief description for them as I can... Be aware that this is all anecdotal...
  6. wax32

Radiant Wrasse vs Blue Devil

My LFS finally got in a Radiant Wrasse and I bit the bullet and paid the money for him. Those of you who know my (EDIT: 70 gallon) tank will realize there is a problem... I have mean fish! So, I got home and tore the tank apart and got out the Strawberry Dottyback, the Domino Damsel and the...
  7. wax32

Heater needs replacing?

3 AM. I have a tank heater set at 71 degrees. My room temp is 67 degrees. Lights off, my tank is 78 degrees and the heater is ON. Malfunctioning heater? Time to get a new one, right? EDIT: By the way, this post is sort've tongue-in-cheek. I obviously know my heater is broken. Kinda makes me...
  8. wax32

Some pictures:

OK so a lot of my old threads got all bamboozled up when I changed domain names. If you want to see LOTS of photos from before, check out my web page. I thought I start a new picture thread with some brand spankin' new pictures of my tank. Here is my latest rock: Palythoa sp. and Favites sp.
  9. wax32

New Coral + One

Ok, so I am weird. I bought this Favites sp. coral just so I could get the hitch-hiking Palythoa sp. polyps! And here is a shot of a mature colony of Zoanthus and some Discosoma, plus my Lysmata debelius, Cryptocentrus cinctus and a Calcinus tibicen (my favorite hermit!).
  10. wax32

ophiura: sea star ID question...

I am tentatively calling this Nardoa novaecaledoniae. Does this seem reasonable to you? I have had it since this past July and it is doing well, growing and regenerating some limb damage it had when I first bought it. It moves about the tank all day, crawling across the sand, LR, corals and...
  11. wax32

Destroyed Dottyback!

OK. I am looking at my tank this afternoon, and I notice this! What the heck could have happened? He was fine yesterday. Other inhabitants: baby domino, blue devil, canary wrasse, blue-green chromis, various small hermits and emerald crabs. One Ophiolepis superba sepent star and one Fromia...
  12. wax32

Hermit Crab Identifications

I thought it would be useful to have a thread for hermit crab info. I'll start by posting the ones I have. Feel free to post up shots of any different ones you may have! I'll add a brief description for them as I can... Be aware that this is all anecdotal information based upon my personal...
  13. wax32

Zoanthids: Some Eyecandy!

The last thread got all broken up when I moved my pictures around on my website. So I am starting a new thread... Tank Background: 70 Gallon Oceanic RR, restarted after Hurricane Katrina. Lighting: one 250w MH 20000k bulb, four 95w VHO actinics Water Turnover: 44x Fish: Istiblennius...
  14. wax32

Different kind of chemi-clean question!

Since Katrina I have battled cyano in my tank. I've been careful with feeding, installed a PhosBan reactor (which got my phosphates to an undetectable level) and I still had cyano. I decided to treat the tank with chemi-clean. The skimmer went ape, as expected, so I shut it down. The cyano...
  15. wax32

Closed Loop and Chiller question

Right now I have a closed loop pump that runs about 600 gph through my chiller. If I tried to run a higher velocity pump through the chiller would that affect how well it works? I was thinking about moving up to a Sequence Reeflo Dart which is about 3600gph. Will that still work with a chiller...
  16. wax32

Eye Candy for Zoanthid Lovers

Picked up some new zoanthids: LFS might have some gems if you are patient.
  17. wax32

Fire Shrimp Compatability -Video

People often ask, "will my fire shrimp get along with another one?" I can tell you, mine don't get along at all. Check out this short video ... The behavior in this video goes on whenever the larger one sees the smaller one. The large one pretty much has the run of the tank (he was first) and...
  18. wax32

More pictures from my 70 gallon.

I am addicted to taking pictures of my reef! Purple Dottyback, Pseudochromis porphyreus Purple Dottyback, Pseudochromis porphyreus Queen Conch, Strombus gigas My wife was up after I went to bed and got the pictures of the Dottyback. I think she is becoming as addicted to the reef as I am! The...
  19. wax32

Sunday Tripleplay

Here are a few pictures I took in the last couple days... Green Mandarinfish, Synchiropus splendidus My wife actually took the picture of the mandarin, it is her favorite fish. Fireshrimp, Lysmata debelius The shrimp just molted last night, you can see 2 of his legs are pale... they were...
  20. wax32

Fish in the overflow

This is my overflow: Overflow Today I discovered 2 fish in it. One was the blenny that went missing yesterday and the other was the spotted mandarin that went missing a month ago. Anyone have an easy solution that wouldn't involve cutting black acrylic to fit that would keep the fish from...