Search results

1. uberlink

oh no!! whats wrong with my plate coral? XP w/pics

hopefully your plate will be okay, but they are hard to keep, in my experience. Very delicate and prone to injury.
  2. uberlink

Tanks: 75, 90, and 110--same footprint?

Thanks. I'll have to see just how long my stand is, since the 110 looks a hair bigger than my 75g. Cheers!
  3. uberlink

Tanks: 75, 90, and 110--same footprint?

Just trying to verify...I have a 75 now and am considering upgrading to a 90 or 110. Can someone confirm that these all have the same footprint such that I wouldn't have to change my stand and canopy?
  4. uberlink

Which Tang???.....

Of those, I'd say the blue hippo is the easiest to care for.
  5. uberlink

Tiny snails on toadstool leather

Not sure what they are. Maybe the mini turbo snails. Can't say for certain. Maybe my next fish will be a six-line wrasse to keep them under control.
  6. uberlink

Tiny snails on toadstool leather

My toadstool leather, which I've had for about three years, has been looking a bit pathetic lately. I would usually assume it's just going through a shedding phase or maybe needs some more flow, but I've noticed there are a bunch of tiny white snails on him at night time. I've not noticed...
  7. uberlink

Please Reply!!

Get the best lighting you can afford--MH if possible. You'll never regret it.
  8. uberlink

Cleaner shrimp randomly dies - any ideas?

Just a molt, in all likelihood. Watch over the next couple of days. I'll bet your dead shrimp miraculously reappears, about 30% bigger than he was before.
  9. uberlink

Emerald Crab

Don't worry...he's hiding. They get a little more bold after they've been in there a while. And don't worry if you see what appears to be a dead emerald...he probably just molted, which is common right after you put them in the tank.
  10. uberlink

HELP !!!! Chiller Question

I have a JBJ Arctica 1/5hp chiller, and I had the exact same thing happen. Absolute disaster. Oily water everywhere, had to replace carpet pad, refrigerant oil in my tank (which I've never completely gotten out of there), etc. Horrific experience. They were great about replacing the chiller...
  11. uberlink

Broken Cross-Member

Makes sense. I found a piece of acrylic and cut it to two inches wide and 17 inches long. I attached that to the tank this afternoon, with a small bolt on either side dropping through the good part of the plastic. Seems to be working. No detectable bowing.
  12. uberlink

Broken Cross-Member

I woke up this morning to find that the plastic cross-member in my 75 gallon tank had broken in the middle. The tank is otherwise fine (aside from a hair algae outbreak). No leaks, not bowing in the middle, etc. (It may help that it has an oak hood all the way around, which probably provides...
  13. uberlink

My Worst Nightmare Came True

I'd reduce your lighting schedule by a few hours a day until this rights itself. I wouldn't eliminate lighting for a week...it will mess up your fishes' eating. I'd focus on the water changes. You can pretty safely go with 20% a week, or about 10 gallons. Also consider planting some...
  14. uberlink

Aquarium Pharmecuticals Tap Water Filter

Originally Posted by SCSInet All it is is a DeIonization filter. It performs chemical filtration, but it won't remove things like solids in the water. The thing about these things is that they eat cartridges for breakfast... A $20 cartridge may make about 50 gallons or so before it exhausts...
  15. uberlink

Oil in tank...what can I do?

Great advice. I'll do so. Thanks!
  16. uberlink

Agreed on the soap. It's a crazy idea and I won't do it. Breaking down the tank really isn't an option. Just too much LR, too many critters, etc. I'm going to start doing a 5 gallon water change every three days to see if that helps. (I've been just doing a water change every couple of...
  17. uberlink

Originally Posted by T316 So did they ever cover the cost of your carpet? And I don't understand why your skimmer is still not skimming....why would the residue keep the skimmer from doing it's job? Are you sure the skimmer is okay? Unfortunately, they are unwilling to pay unless sued. I have...
  18. uberlink

Originally Posted by reefkprZ better check the paper work on the device I bet the warranty only covers the original unit and there is a disclaimer stating they are not responsible for any damage to persons or property. the second you hooked it up you agreed to their paper work..... I would...
  19. uberlink

Weeks later and a major cleaning later, my skimmer still isn't skimming. What else can I try? A drop of gentle soap? I know that sounds insane, but I fear it may be the only way to break up oil residue...obviously I don't want to hurt any of my critters, but the lack of skimming for the last...
  20. uberlink

Stupid question...but I'm new!!

Take the drip loop advice seriously. I had a tank in my office for a while, carelessly without drip loops. A hang on tank filter started to leak one night and water ran down into the powerstrip, which promptly burst into flames. Fortunately, someone happened to be working late and found...