Search results

1. barelycuda

Please help me with my nitrates!

I would agree with the above. I had problems with nitrates & my wet/dry for some time. I built a replaced the wet/dry with a sump I built, did a couple of water changes and my nitrates have been just abouve zero ever since. Cuda
  2. barelycuda

"Zero waste" RO system

No sorry, I live on the other side of the border in Vancouver, Wa. Cuda
  3. barelycuda

"Zero waste" RO system

I am no expert but I believe that this unit is not a DI unit, just RO. Also what is the rating for the sytem in gallons produced per day. It would suck to have a unit that took 3 days to produce enough water to do a decent size water change. Just a thought. Cuda
  4. barelycuda

Skimmer question

I have a skimmer similar to yours. The paperwork with mine said it had a 72 hr break in time but I have heard of other skimmers taking longer. Adjust the water level down with the red nob during the break in & then slowly raise the level up until you have only a dry foam entering the...
  5. barelycuda

Water #2

You may want to check at your LFS. The one next to my house has RO/DI water premixed for 80 cents a gallon or just RO/Di for 50 cents a gallon. I just take in a 5 gallon jug once a week for my water change & for $4.00 it's well worth it.
  6. barelycuda

How many uv watts for a 55?

I have either a 15 or 18 watt UV in my 55.(sorry for not remembering.) I have been told 300 gallons per hour is what is supposed to flow through it for optimum results. Everything has been going great with it. Hope this helps.
  7. barelycuda

water question

Have you checked with your LFS for RO/DI water? The one near my house sells it cheaper than the grocery stores do. They also sell it premixed with salt for a very reasonable price. My tap water has a lot of minerals in it that I don't want in my tank. Also some local water supplies introduce...
  8. barelycuda

feeding

I have been feeding my fish smaller amounts 2x a day. The fish seem more active & less waste in my overflow filter.
  9. barelycuda

PC Lights & Timers

Thanks everyone for your input. I feel like I have been misguided by so many people for so long that I feel lost. It very nice to find a forum and group of people that is dedicated to this hobby and helping newbies. I feel like I'm starting all over again but with the right answers & much more...
  10. barelycuda

PC Lights & Timers

Thanks Rappa, I adjusted the time back a little. Other than algae growth is there a concern for the lights being on for that amount of time? Since I leave for work before 7:00 am & don't get home until 6:00 pm I like to look at my fish a little in the evening. :happyfish I currently feed the...
  11. barelycuda

PC Lights & Timers

I have a 55g tank that I have just purchased a 4x65 PC Coralife Retrofit kit to install in a DIY canopy. Currently there are 2-10,000k lamps & 2-actinic lamps on seperate switches & timers.The tank is currently a FOWLR but I would like to add some easy to care for corals and maybe an anemome...