Search results

1. moneyman

Math Question

I was changing my profile and it had a 'Math Question' box right below the 'My Location' box. I think it was '9+5'. I don't see the question anymore thinking I must have seen things. What's that all about? Did anyone get that? Is it standard VB question? Some sort of mental acuity test.
  2. moneyman

Teddy Bear

My zoanthids starting to disappear all the sudden. The only culprit is a teddy bear crab. He was cute at 1". But, at 2+", he is now scaring me. So, this is my attempt to catch him: Crab hunting a piece of squid on a rubble LR. This is how he looks like. Those eyes are just devilish. You...
  3. moneyman

Measuring pH of your lawn soil

Has anyone tried this using a kit meant for your aquarium? I am thinking of mixing soil from my lawn and RODI water. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes then measure the mixture with a probe.
  4. moneyman

Flood detector work for RO water?

Does one of those water/spill detector detect RO (< 10 ppm on the TDS meter) water spill? I fill up a 5 gallon jug for human consumption. I cant put any float switch into the jug fearing contamination. I cant store the water in a garbage container. Do I have any other choices? Many times, I...
  5. moneyman

Aquarium Lighting for Home

Anyone ever used aquarium lighting for your indoor home lighting? I just dont like the yellowness of tungsten lamps. Also, even the daylight NO fluorescents looks too un-natural. Just a thought....
  6. moneyman

2L Coke bottle DYI Chiller

Let assume the freezer gets to 25 deg F. Q: Which bottle gets colder in the freezer say in 24 hr? 1) Filled with RODI? 2) Filled with tap water? 3) Filled with salt water? Does it really mater?
  7. moneyman

Salt Mix Measurement - Dec 2005

Interesting article by Mathew Marulla, Thomas O'Toole titled: Feature Article: Inland Reef Aquaria Salt Study, Part I & II * AquaMedic Sea Salt (AM) * Oceanic Sea Salt (O) * Omega Sea Marine Salt (OS) * Aqua Craft Bio-Sea MarineMix (BSM) * Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea MarineMix (CSM) * Tropic...
  8. moneyman

NSW composition

I found this site that has the composition of sea water. http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/seawater.htm. What's interesting is that we aquarists dont measure S, K, and Br even though they exist in significant concentration. Because they exist, some sort of lifeform must use it. Also, it is...
  9. moneyman

Pix of RO Prefilters

Here are my pix of the used filters vs new ones. This is after 1 year of service. The picture of the 3 new ones are on the left. The used ones are in the right picture.
  10. moneyman

Plytoplankton from Reed Mariculture

I recently feed my tank DT and the result is very positive. LPS/shroom seems to be fuller. The shroom is dividing like crazy. Pods population has definitely increased. But, I have to spend $10 a month on DT. Is anyone using the stuff from Reed Mariculture? They are the same as BioPlankton...