Search results

1. foodshape

Phytoplankton - do all corals consume it?

...or just certain types? Want to make sure I'm not adding stuff I don't need to be adding to the tank.
  2. foodshape

Skimmers and Filter Socks in Reef Tanks

Just a couple questions about using these... When adding anything to the water (phytoplankton, vitamins + amino-acids, etc.) should filter socks be removed and skimmers turned off for a few hours so the corals have a change to get those goodies? Just wondering if either of these devices has a...
  3. foodshape

Macro Algae

75g reef (been running for over a year now but still early in the coral stocking stage), I have a decent skimmer in the sump (Vetex Omega 150) and plenty of LR and base rock in the DT. I was thinking of adding some macro algae to my sump (with lighting) to further lower nitrates. The only macro...
  4. foodshape

Kickstarting stalled reef project - what fish would you add?

I had started putting together 75g a reef tank some time back... with everything set up and running though things kind of got put on hold for nearly a year. Nothing new has been added to the tank in that time. Not much in the way of corals in the tank presently - a torch-frogspawn thingy (looks...
  5. foodshape

Another Flame Angel for Reef Tank Thread

Hi folks, the title pretty much says it... I'll just add that I've read a great many of the accounts suggesting it's hit or miss with these guys, some people don't feel it's worth the risk, some do... What I'd like to know is whether there are any tricks to help making it work, eg: getting the...
  6. foodshape

Coral Recommendations?

Have a 75g going (cycled since April) with a 30Br sump, 48X3W LEDs, sump contains just a sock, skimmer, heater & return pump at the moment - planning to add macro algae to the fuge section; Circulation is just the Eheim 1260 return pump plus a Hydor oralia 750, but I am willing to add more...
  7. foodshape

Couple of unknowns

Spotted this one on the glass, at most 2mm in diameter. Some sort of starfish? Is it ok or a pest? Also started to take notice of these. They seem to be multiplying and are only really evident on my overflow (because they stand out against the black - have to assume they are all over the...
  8. foodshape

Micro-bubbles bad why?

I've seen it mentioned a number of times that micro-bubbles in a reef tank are undesirable. I can appreciate that purely with regards to aesthetic appeal, but what (if any) would be the negative effects otherwise? eg: promote algae? harmful to corals? affect water chemistry? etc. Don't really...
  9. foodshape

What is this?

Got a hitchhiker in on a rock that came with a mushroom coral... is this some form of the dreaded aptaisia? If not what? Am assuming I should get it outta there? referring to the little tentacle thing at the bottom left of the white piece of rock, Tks,
  10. foodshape

Emerald crab releasing eggs

I noticed the smaller of my two emerald crabs yesterday hanging from the rockwork, belly upwards, doing a series of contractions and releasing a little puff of eggs on each one. This went on for quite some time. Many were picked off by my royal gramma (the only fish in the DT at the moment), and...
  11. foodshape

Marineland Visi-Therm POS?

I've had many heaters over the years but this is my first experience with this brand. New 250W heater simply stopped working after 8 days... The light stays on but the unit generates no heat. It wasn't dropped and there are no signs of cracked glass or damage otherwise. It was in my sump (but...
  12. foodshape

Foodshape's 1st Time SW Build

Hi folks, Rather than starting a new thread for each question I come up with or hijacking others' threads I figured I may as well start a 'build' thread (although the way this project has gone so far this one will be plodding along slowly...) Background: I've been keeping freshwater for decades...
  13. foodshape

Good quality, quiet skimmer for 75g reef setup?

Does anyone have any recommendations? While I wouldn't exactly say money is no object, I don't mind paying for better quality, up to a point. Quiet is good also. I haven't built the stand or sump yet and so do not have any firm restrictions on skimmer height & footprint at the moment. Tks,
  14. foodshape

DIY Stand Thoughts

I finally committed myself to setting up my first saltwater tank, a 75g (ordered). I have built a couple of stands before, using designs I can honestly say I thought up from scratch (though it turns out that one example at least is a concept others have arrived at independently). Both these...
  15. foodshape

Anyone try Deep Blue Solarflare DX (double) LED strips?

It seems these are relatively new and there doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of reviews on them. Supposed to be for reefs (48" has 36 x 10000K and 12 x 460 actinic 3W leds) - just wondering how good these would be for softies? LPS? SPS? say for argument's sake in a 24" deep tank.
  16. foodshape

Start cycle in temporary tank? (new to sw)

Hi folks, I am a longtime FW keeper (25+ yrs) and have finally decided to try a foray over to the salty side. This project won’t take off in earnest until the new year due to other priorities, and that’s fine. I still have two african cichlid tanks running and don’t foresee shutting those down...