Search results

1. RobP

New Flame Angel

Why is the assumption that I didn't research or QT the fish? If I didn't what does that have to do with the original question I ask? What if I didn't put her in a QT? Does that make my question invalid? I don't think it does. Additionally, it was my understanding that putting a new fish in QT...
  2. RobP

New Flame Angel

Now I have to ask, why would you assume that I didn't research it? Of course I did, why would I be asking if I should run my sterilizer less since a flame angel eat algae. Secondly, what does putting my new fish in QT tank have to do with my question? Do I question if you changed your underwear...
  3. RobP

question about my anemone

I have two anemones in my tank and one of them has been in there for almost a year and I have never had any problems, knock on wood) with any of my fish and one of them is a PJ Cardinal. One reason may be is my clown fish won't let any fish get too close to it. Good luck though.
  4. RobP

New Flame Angel

Yeah I see her grazing on the live rock so I know she is eating and I guess if she was hungry she would eat the Mysis shrimp I add. My thought with the sterilizer is it limits my algae growth. Not sure if she eats it or not. I just haven't had a flame angel before and want to make sure I give...
  5. RobP

New Flame Angel

Quick question, I just got a new Flame Angel and she is grazing off the rocks nicely but hasn't eaten any Mysis shrimp after 4-5 days. I've put seaweed in the tank a few times but she hasn't eaten any yet. My question should I turn off or limit the amount of time I run my UV sterilizer? thanks
  6. RobP

Deciding to dose kalk in my 20g?

Asbury030, If your PH dips to 7.8 at night and rises during the day then you should be ok since a good PH range is 7.8 - 8.3. The reason the PH will drip at night is because of the increase in CO2 throughout the over night hours. I agree with Bang that you should be careful getting your...
  7. RobP

Deciding to dose kalk in my 20g?

I just recently started to use Kalkwasser in my 55 gallon and what I do is to mix up a 5 gallon batch and then put it in my top off bucket. I was dosing it separate but all that was happening is my top off wasn't being used. I'm not sure if that will be enough or not. I think it will depend on...
  8. RobP

Benefit's or drawback's of using a aerator

That makes a lot of sense and I'm going to look for some of those battery operated aerators. Didn't know they had those.
  9. RobP

Oh I don't think an airstone does a better job either. Proper water flow especially at the surface of the water can and does the same job if not better than a stone. I personally don't like air stones.
  10. RobP

Lights On or OFF during cycle?

Ok after reading your question one more time let me say this. There are two parts to setting up a new tank: Curing Live Rock Cycling a tank These can be done at the same time but that is your choice. I personally do them at the same time. Curing live rock is the process of removing any...
  11. RobP

The main reason I say that it will evelvate the o2 level is when you are using UltraLife Red Slime Remover, they say it can lower O2 levels which is why they recommend using a air stone.
  12. RobP

Lights On or OFF during cycle?

I don't think it matters if the lights are on or off. I also started mine with the lights off and didn't have any problems. As far as LR from the start or not, again I don't think it really matters. It might shorten the cycle some but I wouldn't think the time would be noticable. Don't...
  13. RobP

I believe that bubbles do add O2 to the system but what I don't like about it is the salt creep. When the bubbles pop after a while it's everywhere but I guess if you kept up on cleaning the salt creep it would be okay.
  14. RobP

Green Star Poly

Thanks Bang, I was thinking the same with the Calcium. I just got my DA Controller which is helping with maintaing a more stendy TEMP and my PH was at 7.7 a few days ago and I just started (last night) checking Calcium and I will try to get more flow on this as well. Thanks again.
  15. RobP

Green Star Poly

It's in dKh and ther isn't alot of flow where they are.
  16. RobP

lighting choices

+1 Flower I had the same problem with a mushroom, I didn't feed it and mine didn't do well either. Not sure if I put it in a bad spot to filter feed or my water was too clean (I doubt it). Try moving it to a different spot in your tank.
  17. RobP

Green Star Poly

Ok here is what I have. I got a Red Sea Test kit last night. Ammonia 0.0 Nitites 0.0 Nitrates 0.0 Phosphates 0.1 PH 8.22 Temp 78 Calcium 300 Alkalinity 7.0 Magnesium 1560 I'm running two LEDs for lighting and I have one Green Star at each end on a rock that is a few inches off the sand...
  18. RobP

Green Star Poly

When I get home Bang I will post what I have but I don't test Alkalinity or Magnesium as of yet. I'm starting to think maybe I should. But like I said I will post the other when I get home tonight. Thanks
  19. RobP

Green Star Poly

Hey everyone, I've had this Green Star Poly since I started my tank almost 1 1/2 ago. It started to spread then stopped, the started again. Anyways, it hasn't fully opened in a long time and I'm trying to figure out why. I just got a controller and can finally accurately measure my PH which BTW...
  20. RobP

Cloudy Water

I have to agree, my return pump has a filter like sock on it and when I forget to clean it mine starts to do the same thing but my tank doesn't look overly cloudy but it's not as clean as normal.