Search results

1. JH919

Clownfish Territory

Hello once again salt people, I have a question about 2 Ocellaris Clowns I've had for 2 months. Since day one they don't venture out of the top corners (either side) of my 75g tank. Never once did I see them swim at or near the bottom. Is this normal behavior? They eat well and are healthy, but...
  2. JH919

Too Much Sump Flow?

Hello people, I'm looking to decrease the flow going through my sump. I have a 75 gallon tank, CPR internal overflow going into a 1" bulkhead with a ball valve (opened 100%) plumbed in. I also have a Ecotech M1 DC return pump. How do I slow down the flow rate? Do I just simply partially close...
  3. JH919

EcoTech Marine Vortech

Hello All, I'm looking to purchase a couple new power heads. My current two Aqueon 950gph powerheads are less than desirable. I have them connected to a Hydor Wavemaker and every time one gets turned on it makes a banging sound. I would think it could frighten a fish or two (don't have any in...
  4. JH919

Automatic Return Pump Shut Off/ Turn On

Hello All, Anybody have or have an idea on how to shut off a return pump if the return chamber runs dry? (then turns on when filled). I have a standard AC pump. Thanks!
  5. JH919

Durso

Hi guys, I'm currently rethinking/redoing my overflow situation. I'm leaning towards the Durso standpipe method. My question is, how much airline tubing is placed inside and outside of the pipe? Thanks folks.
  6. JH919

Finnex Heater w/ Digital Controller

Greetings all, Anyone have experience with Finnex products? Mainly heaters? I just ordered a 300W heater with the digital controller. Thought it would be a nicer upgrade from my current 200W Aqueon. Thanks people.
  7. JH919

Plumbing A 75G Tank

Hello Salty People, A couple of questions here, if you don't mind. Is a single 1" bulk head sufficient for an internal overflow box? Does it require an upside down 90 degree elbow installed inside the overflow box? (for noise reduction purposes). Also, is a Sicce Syncra 3.0 sufficient for a...
  8. JH919

Biopellet Reactor

Hello guys, I'm soon to be restarting my 75g tank as soon as the rest of my plumbing and new return pump to arrive. My question is...when should I run my biopellet reactor? Do I wait until the tank cycles or as it cycles? Please let this rookie know. Thanks!
  9. JH919

Tank Drilling

Just successfully drilled my first tank this weekend. Frightening process...Now I can plumb it (properly) to my liking. FYI: Don't believe the "Do not drill enclosure" warning tag on the bottom of Aqueon tanks. I did the 3D glasses and lap top method. The bottom panel is tempered and the...
  10. JH919

High Nitrates?

Hello reefing folks, Is 5ppm of Nitrates considered high? A tougher question is, where is it coming from? The tank (75g) is "possibly" recently cycled (25 days new). 60lbs (dry) and 15lbs of (live) rock. Also, a point to mention, no live stock other than 5 Astrea snails. Thanks guys!
  11. JH919

Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand

Hello Folks, I just setup my 75 gallon tank over the weekend. Needless to say after adding water the sand clouded up the tank big time. I understand that that will happen at first and it has been clearing up nicely, but if I agitate the sand even a little, it clouds up the water again. Over time...
  12. JH919

Cover Or No Cover?

As the thread states. Who here covers their tanks? and who doesn't?...and why. Could it be just a matter of aesthetics or does it serve a purpose ether way? Discuss...
  13. JH919

Saltwater or Reef Salt?

Hello Saltwaterfish community, I will be starting up a tank very soon and was wondering since I'll be adding coral (down the road) should I just use basic salt or reef salt? Thanks for all your support. :)
  14. JH919

Yet Another Green Horn Here.

Hello Fine Saltwater Fish & Reef Keepers, Throwing out a greetings from this new guy. Looking forward to learning a lot from this forum (AKA trolling...lol). I'm currently purchasing the required gear to convert my formerly successful African Cichlid 75g tank to a FOWLR saltwater tank with...