Search results

1. PhunkeyPhish

XPort P04 cubes:

I use xport cubes in a reactor chamber in the sump for my 65 gallon reef tank. I recently had to add about 50% more cubes because I was noticing more algae on the walls and sand toward the end of the day (cleaner crew does a good job at night). It is back under control, but was curious as to how...
  2. PhunkeyPhish

Scratches on my tank!

Hello all, My tank is pretty old and there are some superficial scratches which I never minded before. But then last week I put a few bigger scratches on the outside of the tank cause my algae scraper had a couple pieces of sand stuck to it and didnt notice initially. Anything that can help...
  3. PhunkeyPhish

Clown egg laying now acting odd:

Hello, My wife and I have a 65 gallon reef tank. It has been under our care since August, but my wife has had this tank for about 16 years (watched over by her mom until recently). The clownfish in the tank is as old as the tank. She recently laid eggs a few days ago and then the following day...
  4. PhunkeyPhish

Algae mainly on glass...

When I took over a fairly established 65 gallon it had a huge algae problem, especially bubble algae and dirty sand everywhere. Some changes I have made are getting a clean up crew in, weekly water changes and carbon dosing. Maybe the first week or so there was almost no algae anywhere. The past...
  5. PhunkeyPhish

Algae scrubber: Santa Monica SURF 2?

Hey, Anyone have the SURF 2? I am thinking of adding it to my 65 gallon reef tank. My nitrates and phosphate levels are pretty good, but still getting a lot of algae build up in my sand and glass, although the bubble algae seems to be kept at bay with my awesome clean up crew. Main question on...
  6. PhunkeyPhish

Emerald green crab... it's alive!!!

This morning I woke up sad to see a flipped over Emerald crab in the sand when I turned the lights off before heading to work. I did a 15% water change the day before and was convinced I killed it. I then read that most people mistake molts for dead crabs. Tonight I spotted the smaller crab and...
  7. PhunkeyPhish

Is this OK placement for a GSP frag?

I just picked up some new coral for the first time ever (the tank came established with some mush and a leather). The zoa I bought and ricordea mush look like they are settling in well for it being less than 24 hours. The gsp I got still hasn't opened up and last night a crab moved it and I had...
  8. PhunkeyPhish

Recommended RO/DI system?

I want to purchase an ro/di system this week. Are there some systems that you guys can recommend? I would either hook it up under my kitchen sink, or keep it in the garage where there is a hose faucet. At the moment I go through about 15 gallons a week. Also, what is preferred for watcher...
  9. PhunkeyPhish

Should I be supplementing with trace elements?

Greetings, I have a 65 gallon with a few fish and inverts along with mushroom coral and a large leather coral. Would like to add in some additional varieties in the future. For filtration I use a protein skimmer and phosphate reactor, along with having a bag of activated carbon. Because of the...
  10. PhunkeyPhish

When should I feed my gobie?

Greetings, I have a court jester gobie that I have had for a little over a week now. The only time I ever see him is in the morning shortly after I turn the lights on. He's always in the same place which is right outside his little cave area. I generally feed my fish (a clown and dottyback) in...
  11. PhunkeyPhish

Making an older clown accept a partner?

Greetings, I have taken over care of a 65 gallon reef tank that has an Ocellaris clown, orchid dottyback and then recently introduced court jester gobie, snails, emerald crabs and scarlet and red tip hermits. This was/is my fiance's tank that she got when she was in high school, but her mom had...
  12. PhunkeyPhish

Need some fish suggestions:

Greetings, I have a 65 gallon reef tank that I'm taking over care for and am starting to get in the hang of things and getting the system healthy again. The old crew of the tank is an old, grumpy Ocellaris Clown and an also older Orchid Dottyback (the two of them get along very well). There is a...
  13. PhunkeyPhish

Tassle filefish:

Greetings, I am a bit new to saltwater fish (lots of fresh in the past) and wanted to get some feedback on the filefish. I have a 65 gallon and for fish I have an orchird dotty back, ocellaris clown and court jester gobie. I have mushroom and leather coral and then a couple emerald crabs, hermit...
  14. PhunkeyPhish

algae scrubbers:

Greetings, I have a 65 gallon reef tank that I am interested in getting an algae scrubber. My sump is a 20 gallon and room is super tight with my protein skimmer and GFO reactor. I was looking at a SURF 2, but I don't think I have room. Then I looked at the HOG, but there is mention that...
  15. PhunkeyPhish

Water changes:

Hello everyone Just got a 65 gallon set up at our house, it came to us from being in the care of my fiance's mom for the past 8 + years where it was being serviced by an aquarium store. I am new to saltwater but am experienced with freshwater. For water changes I always used tap water and added...
  16. PhunkeyPhish

Inheriting a 65 gallon, new to saltwater

Hi everyone, My fiance is taking back her 65 gallon saltwater aquarium that her parents have been taking care of for the past 6+ years. She used to be really into saltwater aquariums, but has kind of fallen out of it. I am pretty experienced with freshwater aquariums, but completely new to...