Search results

1. Alex.M.

Gone for a month, need help fixing tank!

I was gone from my 40 gallon salt water tank for roughly a month due to personal reasons. It was kept at my parents house however they didn't do much besides add one cube of frozen food a day. All my animals are alive and acting well however (now that I am back), I've noticed a lot more...
  2. Alex.M.

Taken from the wild!

I know right!! Like hot damn it's getting a date, it's own tank, special attention and everything lol
  3. Alex.M.

Taken from the wild!

I contacted the local state park (same one the crab was taken from) and the ranger claims that the crab will be fine because horseshoe crabs have the same abilities as crocodiles. Their immune system will not allow them to get sick or parasites. Tomorrow the ranger will pick up the crab from and...
  4. Alex.M.

Taken from the wild!

When I went to pick up a coral frag from a friends house yesterday I noticed that they were also selling their 2 inch long Horse Shoe Crab. I asked how they got it and they told me that they picked it up at their local beach. I "offered" to buy it from them and keep it safe. Would it be possible...
  5. Alex.M.

Snail dying or mating?

So this is an update. There are mixed opinions on the internet about turbo snails ability to right themselves when flipped. I decided to chance it again and right my snail, but this time I held him against my rocks and he latched on quickly and now is crawling happy again. The other snail is...
  6. Alex.M.

What should I add

I would check out a saltwater fish compatibility chart to make your selection. A goby can be nice and add some personality. I personally like fire fish but i would check to make sure that they can be with wrasse before you go that route.
  7. Alex.M.

Snail dying or mating?

I got these mexican turbo snails roughly 5 days ago. They have all been extremely active and moving constantly. After dinner I found my largest snail upside down with another snail crawling on it. I flipped him right side up and watched as he flipped him self over again. The large snail is...
  8. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

My tank lid had a plastic piece that you could cut to shape (for filters and piping) and I had some walking sticks from other adventures. So I put the mangroves in the back of the tank, and attached then to the walking sticks to keep them upright. I have space to go up. But not down. I'll take a...
  9. Alex.M.

Rock ?

I LOVE FOWLR! my tank is a FOWLR, currently in the process of being set up. Would love to see a picture of the tank design when you finally have to set up! Good Luck and happy reefing
  10. Alex.M.

Rock ?

My parents had a freshwater tank that they let sit in the garage for like 3 weeks before they got around to cleaning it. It was a rough cleaning process! LOL gravel is the worst! If you plan on using anything from inside the tank, I would stick it in the sun for a week or longer. (the rocks need...
  11. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

Thank you! Compared to other tanks I always felt that I needed more, but I want the main focus on the tank to be the entire ecosystem not just the rocks/corals/colors. Im trying to model it after the mangrove forests here in Florida (where I live). At the moment I don't have room for a...
  12. Alex.M.

Using Sea water

My profile picture is actually from the caymans. Went there on a cruise ship, and this was one of the stops.
  13. Alex.M.

Rock ?

To be honest, if the water was still standing and you haven't touched it, added anything or taken away anything, I would wash it very thoroughly. put it in a black bag and put it in direct sunlight for a month. The rocks wont be Live Rocks any more but just from experience, your tank most likely...
  14. Alex.M.

I'm in a panic!

Good luck and i hope you find him! keep us updated!
  15. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

Also in your opinion would should i add my Marco algea, I had planned to add Gracilaria, Mermaids wine glass, and Ulva along with a quick clean up crew before I added any fish. I just got my B. Cardinals in today but they are in a QT for 4 weeks.
  16. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

I'm using Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel filter 350. Its made for tanks 55 gallons and up, but I wanted to make sure that it was strong enough for a saltwater aquarium. Along with a protein skimmer, mangroves, and hopefully soon macroalgae.
  17. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

So i just checked my nitrates and its at 20 PPM. which is high, (i know i need to do a water change to fix it) but does this mean that my cycle is over?
  18. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

Ok. I'll keep checking the levels daily and add the fish food for the sand and rocks. Thank you
  19. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

I was going to continue to wait. I'm getting my cardinals today so they need a month in a QT anyway. But I had read that in the first week I should have seen an increase in ammonia to like 10 ppm but I never saw that increase. I have live sand, live rocks and I used 20 gallons of the Pacific...
  20. Alex.M.

Trouble cycling?

So I have been trying to cycle my tank for one week now and I just cant seem to get the ammonia to rise above .25 ppm. Ive been adding fish flakes, frozen brine shrimp daily and on the first day I added one large cocktail shrimp. Ive tested the water parameters daily and nothing has changed...