Search results

1. darkslayer414

Looking for info about snails/crabs(algae eaters)

hello, I am looking for the best algae eaters. I have been reading about the blue legged hermit crabs and trochus snails. Those two are the most mentioned for being the best algae eaters. Are these two in fact the best eaters? or is there another one anyone knows about? please tell me, thanks.
  2. darkslayer414

I have two lightning options...need opinions

My tank is a 90g 48x18x25 with a 4 inch sandbed. I plan on keeping zoo's, galaxea, toadstool, mushrooms, dersa clam, hammer coral, and most likely more zoo's(lots more). I have two options for light... option 1--- two fixtures, four T5HO bulbs each...NOT individual reflectors...so a total of 8...
  3. darkslayer414

Need advice...20g long sump, need skimmer for it...what one fits?

here is the story, 90g reef tank on a stand with 20g LONG tank below it. I need a skimmer that will fit into the stand, can access the cup, and can work in a water level of only 9 inches. 20g long tanks footprint is 12H x 12W x 30L. The inside of the stand has a maximum of 26 inches...
  4. darkslayer414

compatibility question about clownfish

hey, i have a false orange and white clownfish in my tank now. I want to add a citrinis clown goby. will these two be all right together? I know the citrinis is not an actual clownfish but i want to be sure they won't fight before i buy him/her.
  5. darkslayer414

question about leopard wrasse

so heres the scoop....my lfs has a female leopard wrasse...about 2 inches long for sale. i have a 30g tank thats been up for about 2 years. I looked it up and it says its an expert only fish. I was wondering if you guys think it could survive in my tank. the only fish in there now is a 1 inch...
  6. darkslayer414

question about shrimp molting

if my blood/fire shrimp molts should i take the molted body out? or will the cuc dispose of it?
  7. darkslayer414

question about filtration

heres the scoop... i have a 20 gal high tank with a custom built 13 gal sump. there are about 30 pds of live rock cured in it at the moment and a 2 inch live sand bed. the tank will have 2 clownfish, 1 goby, 1 shrimp, 10 hermit crabs(maybe more, i like their colors), 10 snails. as of now there...
  8. darkslayer414

need advice on a filter/skimmer

so i have had a 20g tank with a 13 gallon refugium running with about 35 pounds of live rock. it has been setup for over 6 months just running with nothing in it. I didn't have the money to buy fish/snails/crabs, so i just let it run. I have finally invested the money in fish. I ordered them...
  9. darkslayer414

Advice needed on return pump and size of overflow box

hey all... qustion 1........i have a 20g reef im setting up with a 16g refugium right below it in the stand. the pipe will be going straight up to the tank about 4 to 5 feet...what size return pump should be able to handle that?(i will have a valve on the pvp piping so it can be a little more...
  10. darkslayer414

does anyone have a LARGE clam for sale?

hey everyone....im looking for a large clam...either gold or green no blues or purples...this site only sells small ones 1-3 inches. im looking for one 4-7 inches...if you have any for sale or know of anyone please pm me.
  11. darkslayer414

refugium question...don't know where to begin

ok so heres the deal....i just bought a 20g high tank and stand and in the begining i didn't plan on adding anything extra to it but now ive decided i want to put a refugium under the tank in the stand. problem is it's a 20g high stand so there are no decent sized tanks that can fit under...
  12. darkslayer414

so why can't you clean class with windex?

serious question...why not? if you don't spray ON the glass jus spray the paper towl how is that bad?
  13. darkslayer414

ASKING for 90g tank pictures please

hey all, heres my problem...i have a 90g reef tank with about 200pds of live rock in it...and i HATE how the rocks look. there basically just in a vertical wall stacked against the back of the tank. it doesn't really look nice at all but i don't know any other way to arrange them. so im asking...
  14. darkslayer414

Need suggestions for 20g REEF LIGHTS

hey all...i just bought a 20g high tank and i would like to make it a reef after it cycles. i would like to buy some lights that can support basically any type of coral...but i don't want halides....any suggestions? the lights need to be able to support a clam, zoos, and meat coral
  15. darkslayer414

QT tank question

after an outbreak of ick in my 90g reef tank killed about 500.00 in fish i decided to buy 20g qt tank. my question is if i buy say 2 fish than require 50+ gallons minimum can i stick them in the qt tank? or do i need to put them in a bigger tank for there quarentine. i really don't want to have...
  16. darkslayer414

is power-glo light good enough?

hey all i just bought a 3rd tank(20 gallon) but this one won't be corals...i have never used regular lights before(i have all halides). it will just be for a mated pair of clownfish and maybe a goby. i bought the power-glo light you can find at petsmarts and petcos. is this light good enough for...
  17. darkslayer414

question about heater size

hey all...i just bought a new 20g tank and the only heaters i have left are a 300 watt heater and a 200 watt heater. if i keep the 200 watt heater in the 20g tank is that going to be a problem or should i go buy a 75 watt heater made for a 20g tank?
  18. darkslayer414

need advice on changing out crushed coral for sand

so here's the deal...i have a 90g reef that's been up for almost a year now. i have 200pds LR and 3inch deep crushed coral. i would like to take out the cc and put in sand. my question is if i do this....will the tank have to cycle again because of all of the new sand? and will any of my...
  19. darkslayer414

feeding question

so ive had my tank for a little over a year now...it's a reef tank with only about 5 fish in it...it's a 90 gal dt with a 55 ref the fish i have are 1 flame angel 2 green chromis 1 anthias 1 diamond goby 2 black and white clowns...i have only been feeding them 2 times a week...but i have been...
  20. darkslayer414

compatibility question

hey everyone...i am wanting to add a flame angel to my 90g reef tank....i know there not completely reef safe but many other people have luck with them so im going to give it a shot....my question is...will any of my other fish bother it? the only tank inhabitants are 2 black and white...