Search results

1. kllyjansen

Cycling a new 75 gallon

We have been really dragging out our setup process over the course of a few weeks. Water has been in the tank for three weeks, live sand two weeks, live rock one week. We are keeping an eye on our water levels and have noticed a spike and then decline (to 0) in ammonia after adding the rock...
  2. kllyjansen

Starting from scratch, looking for tips

Hey guys! The boyfriend and I are finally! going to set up a large reef tank. We are starting to do research and are making a "dream" list of things we'd like to include. We of course realize that we are going to have to tailor our dreams to reality, but for this research period we are just...
  3. kllyjansen

Pistol shrimp and goby

I would like to get a pistol shrimp/goby pair and I was wondering if there were any guidelines to follow when selecting the pair. I have yet to see in my LFS an existing pair, so can they be purchased separately? Which types pair up? Are there any types to avoid? I'm not in a hurry to make a...
  4. kllyjansen

ID this coral please

I picked this piece up from the LFS about nine months ago. They called it a type of briareum, but I have never been able to find anything like it. It was really pretty when I bought it, but unfortunately it came with a nasty aptasia anemone growing right smack dab in the middle of it. My LFS...
  5. kllyjansen

Mantis Shrimp?

I have a nano with about 5 1/2 lbs live rock. The only things residing in the nano aside from a couple crabs and snails are a red scooter blenny and (until today) a royal gramma. As I mentioned, I found the royal gramma dead today... half eaten and in the rocks. I dug around and found about 8...
  6. kllyjansen

I have a sneaky predator

Hey guys: I have a small 5 gallon aquarium with 5+lbs of live rock, a few corals, a single hermit and two snails. I USED to have a little goby and a peppermint shrimp. A month or so ago my goby mysteriously died and I had to move some of the rock around to pull it out... it was pretty wedged in...
  7. kllyjansen

Can this kill my corals?

Hey guys, I started this thread on one of the other saltwaterfish.com forum. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/341330/can-this-kill-my-corals Thanks Kelly
  8. kllyjansen

Can this kill my corals?

Hey guys, I have a little five gallon aquarium with 5+ lbs of live rock, a few pieces of coral, a hermit, two turbo snails, and a peppermint shrimp. This is my first saltwater aquarium so I am learning all kinds of new things. Anyways, I have a plant or algae that sprouted from one of my live...
  9. kllyjansen

What are these things? They creep me out!

I have had my little 5 gallon set up for about four months now and I'm surprised at the amount and size of the creatures coming out of the live rock at feeding time today. First: A little brown lobster thing about one inch long shot out of the live rock today, grabbed some of the brine, and...
  10. kllyjansen

White crumbly tube with a tonge... what is it?

Underneath the clam/oyster/mussel thingy (may as well have someone tell me exactly what that is too, lol) there is a rocky white extension from the live rock. I have long suspected that it was growing bigger (longer) but today I saw a long white "tongue" flicking around during feeding time...
  11. kllyjansen

5 gallon nano, pics

I have a little 5 gallon nano. It is hexagon shaped. 5+ lbs of live rock, a little less than 10 lbs of live sand. I have a couple little ocellaris clowns, a goby, crabs, snails, coral, etc. All the fish are hiding from the camera in these pics... usually they are very friendly though. I...
  12. kllyjansen

What is this coral?

This little guy has been growing up out of my live rock. What I am trying to ID is the tree-like growth in the middle of the picture. The little star-shaped pieces at the end of the branches open and close based on time of day, water conditions, etc. It's not the best pic, I know, but it is...
  13. kllyjansen

Mandarin Dragonet

My mandarin dragonet, Beans, the day she arrived. She's very friendly and active. Hopefully I'll be able to fatten her up a bit :)
  14. kllyjansen

I thought it was a bug running on the outside of the glass

I have my first saltwater aquarium. This evening after I had turned out my aquarium lights I was distracted by what appeared to be one of those tiny annoying bugs that run along your tv screen or window (they are a bit bigger than fleas and have wings) running on the glass of my aquarium...