Search results

1. bmkj02

Denitrator help

I have set up a DIY coil denitrator for the past 6 weeks. Its has about 100ft of RO tubing in it on a 125g tank. Its set about 1 drip a sec. Now is the nitrate level coming out the denitrator supposed to be higher or lower than the DT? Mine is coming out higher. LFS told me slower the drip is...
  2. bmkj02

Coil denitrator help

I have set up a DIY coil denitrator for the past 6 weeks. Its has about 100ft of RO tubing in it with bio balls on a 125g tank. Its set about 1 drip a sec. Now is the nitrate level coming out the denitrator supposed to be higher or lower than the DT? Mine is coming out higher. LFS told me slower...
  3. bmkj02

Overflow question???

I have a question. I got a 65 AGA tank. It has one Mega Flow box offset in the middle. Two openings in the bottom for one drain (1")and one return (3/4").I never really liked the idea of the return coming from the flow box so I made mine coming from the opposite corner straight from the pump...
  4. bmkj02

Any big differences between the old style and new style Icecap Metal Halide ballast?

I am looking to buy a pair of 250w ballast. I see some selling the old style and new ones. Of course the old style is cheaper but is there a difference in performance between the two?
  5. bmkj02

Fittings on Brute trash cans

What kind of fitting are you guys using on the Brute trash cans. Im ready to get started on my ATO going and was wondering if they were uni-seals or bulkhead fittings? Im kind of iffy on the uni-seals. Also what size diameter are you using on the PVC?
  6. bmkj02

Calcium Reactor Setup Help

Hi everyone. I just completed a DIY calcium reactor and this is my first one so I am looking for some help and any ideas to the tuning of it. First the unit holds about 9lbs of media and its called Reborn. The circulation pump is an Via Aqua 1800 which I believe is a 480gph. CO2 is coming from a...
  7. bmkj02

What media do you use in your calcium reactor???

I built this calcium reactor and I am working on the second chamber now. I was wondering what kind of media should I be using. I see the ARM media but I also see the coarse grade and the fine grade. I also noticed someone using the coarse in the first chamber and the fine in the second chamber...
  8. bmkj02

Please ID me???

My girlfriend has had this piece for over 4yrs now. Doesnt grow but I think its because there is no room for it to grow as it is stuck on top of an isolated rock. Its purple in color. I love this piece and want one of my own but she wont let me touch it to take a piece off. What coral is this so...
  9. bmkj02

Identify me please???

First picture is an anemone that showed up. Its in my friends tank. When he flipped over the rock this was underneath it. My opinion is its a Rock Anemone. Can someone please confirm if it is or isnt and what it is. Next picture is in my girlfriends tank. This anemone type has been in her tank...
  10. bmkj02

Whats a good bulb for a 400w magnetic ballast

ANSI Code M59. Looking for a 20k. Wanted a Radium but those wont run on a magnetic ballast
  11. bmkj02

Polyp ID please

Got this the other day. Never seen them before. LFS says rare and that they only get them every so many years. Look real nice. $10 a head figured what the heck they are nice. What is it? Just a regular polyp attached to a rock
  12. bmkj02

Refugium Light

Little FYI for you all. I have been looking for a light at HD and Lowes for awhile now for my refugium. I noticed a lot of you use a clip on reflector/socket with a flood lamp. I also noticed that almost all of them are about 2700k or 3500k. In reading around I saw a test on both the 3500k and...
  13. bmkj02

Clam + Zebra Eel = ???

I have a Zebra Eel that is several years old now and about 4ft long. I want to get a nice looking clam but I am afraid my eel will try to eat it. This eel is very good with all other fish and coral. I highly recommend this eel for any fish only or reef tank but they love crustaceans and...
  14. bmkj02

New Octopus Skimmer 2010 NW-150

My skimmer came in today. I had purchased the 2009 model last year and it worked really good. The 2010 model look even better with the longed cone on top so I sold my old/new unit to a friend and purchased the 2010 model. Anyone else have the 2010 models out there? Whats your experience?
  15. bmkj02

RO/DI unit waste line starts up on it own???

I have a 100gph unit I got from Melevsreef with a water saver kit I got from Bulk Reef Supply along with a booster pump as my water pressure sucks. Anyways, after every use I hear the unit shut off (waste line). I have had it for over a year now. I have noticed that whenever anyone turns on the...
  16. bmkj02

What kind of filter pads do you use?

When I go to the LFS they have these rolls of filters cut to whatever length you want it. They are also sold pre-packaged. I asked the guy at the LFS that it looks like all it is is A/C filter for home air condition units and he told me it was, that he buys them wholesale from an a/c contractor...
  17. bmkj02

engineer/convict blennies mating???

I have 2 engineer/convict blennies in my 24g tank. They have always been hiding underneath their tunnels that they build. Sometime in the middle of last week they both have been out all day still to this day just circling each other and laying on one another. Its a weird behavior coming from...
  18. bmkj02

Aquapod 24g Light Mod

Here is an pod that I have had for several years. Actually belongs to my girlfriend. Since we have had it I made a stand for it and put below a 20g glass sump, skimmer and a GFO with a mag 5 pump that is plumbed into the existing return line. Along with a modded MJ 1200. She is really into...
  19. bmkj02

Aquapod 24g Light Mod

Here is an pod that I have had for several years. Actually belongs to my girlfriend. Since we have had it I made a stand for it and put below a 20g glass sump, skimmer and a GFO with a mag 5 pump that is plumbed into the existing return line. Along with a modded MJ 1200. She is really into...
  20. bmkj02

Does anyone use JBJ Ocean Pulse DUO Wavemaker

Does anyone use a JBJ Ocean Pulse - DUO Wavemaker and if so what do you think about it?