Search results

1. btldreef

It's been awhile

Hi all! I still lurk in the background and delete spam but haven't posted in a while. My little monster keeps my busy (can you believe she's 20m already?!?) and I've returned to work. I've also been in the process of trying to help my husband open a tattoo study in our local village as well as...
  2. btldreef

Could you all help me out with something?

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are currently in the process of opening our own tattoo studio here on Long Island. But we've come across a big hurdle: our local village does not allow tattoo shops. We really feel that this code, which is from 1972 is antiquated and it's time for the village to...
  3. btldreef

Been a while..:

Hi all! I've missed you! This past year has been crazy with the baby. I appreciate all the PM's that I have received asking about the baby and how things are going. We are great! We just do a lot of running around and popping onto SWF hasn't really been a priority; sorry, she's more fun :-P...
  4. btldreef

TDS Meter, water quality issues

I've never seen this happen with a TDS meter so quickly. Earlier this week my TDS read 0ppm output and then all of a sudden this afternoon it's reading 11ppm. Input is 103ppm. We run at least 5G (usually 15) of water through it a day, so it's not from sitting all week. Could the filters really...
  5. btldreef

Catching a Hippo Tang

The frequent viewers on this forum are well aware of the bane of my existence at the moment: My Yellow Bellied Hippo Tang. We've tried just about everything to catch this fish, she's getting more and more aggressive and really needs to go. We're trying a fish trap at the moment (failed attempt...
  6. btldreef

Interesting Read on Aquarium Chemistry (and it's easy to understand!)

Just read through this article and I found it really interesting. Thought I'd share it here and I'd also like to hear some people's thoughts on it: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry
  7. btldreef

Introducing........

Baby BTLDreef! Julianna Grace De Louise 5/2/12 1:40PM 8 lbs 8 oz Pictures shortly!!!
  8. btldreef

Puzzled by Blue Hippo...

Most of you know how much I despise my yellow belly blue hippo tang already. She's just a dumb fish, for lack of a better way of putting it. The darn thing will literally swim into a coral and knock it over, just doesn't pay attention. Lately she's been better. She comes out more when we walk in...
  9. btldreef

Kent Marine Carbon Recall

One of my LFS's was complaining about how after they used this carbon in two separate systems recently their SPS died and the one tank clouded. Others were starting to claim of similar issues and now this was released: http://www.kentmarine.com/news/news-archive/kent-marine-reef.htm
  10. btldreef

Need some ideas..

My female Ocellaris clown has become a menace! First she killed her mate for no reason, then declared war on my beautiful frogspawn. Well, that's dead now. She seems to now have my show sized trachyphyllia in her sights as her next victim. I know the trachyphyllia can't handle her, especially...
  11. btldreef

Meet our baby's new pet:

My husband got just a little impulsive today....
  12. btldreef

Santa came early....

An Achilles Tang appeared in my tank this afternoon ? I will post pics tomorrow when the lights turn on, just needed to share my excitement!
  13. btldreef

We find out today...

We are going to find out if we are having a boy or a girl! Very excited. Anyone want to take a guess? And why are boy names harder than girls to pick out! Lol
  14. btldreef

The crazy things people do...

This started almost 4 years ago, but finally went to court. Anyone else here about this? http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/winnipegger-convicted-of-importing-coral-rock-sea-horses-135368373.html?device=mobile&c=y
  15. btldreef

My LFS wants me to be poor....

We did a big coral trade with a fellow hobbyists tonight and right after he left, one of the LFS's near us calls. He carries a lot of high end pieces as well as your normal stuff. The message: Friday, Saturday and Sunday everything in the store will be 40% off including ORA. It's like he knew we...
  16. btldreef

Had to share this...

This is a thread in the "MarketPlace" of my local forum... I was laughing quite hard at it, until I realized my husband responded, LOL. I tried to take out all the links and I apologize for any foul language that I may have missed... Title: Want to trade my wife for some frags.... Will...
  17. btldreef

Torch Coral Melting...

My golden torch that I've had for quite some time "melted" over night. Normally I'd just say it was brown jelly disease, but there is no slime at all. Thoughts?
  18. btldreef

My Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish

I forgot that I still haven't posted up a picture of these little beauties. Anyways, there are only about a dozen pairs that ORA has released thus far, and I was able to get my hands on a pair. Supposedly, they turn black as they mature, and are basically black snowflake clowns. I just HAD to...
  19. btldreef

"You need more freshwater knowledge"

So I'm turning to you guys. The new job I was hired for was mainly for saltwater care, etc. I legally can't disclose where I'm working and what I'm doing. Anyways, we also have some freshwater, all be it much less, but it's there. I kept feshwater tanks for a long time, but honestly, I didn't...
  20. btldreef

My water is GREEN and I'm at the end of my rope with this tank...

One of my tanks is going to make me rip my hair out. Here's the stats: 4 months old 30G high drilled 5.5G sump (it's all that fits) 850GPH return pump (although I do not think that is what it actually produces) EcoTech Vortech MP10 40lbs of live sand for a 5-6" deep sand bed about 30lbs of live...