Search results

1. wartooth1

Temperature issue

Hello SWF people! I'm having a bit of a temperature problem in my 90 gallon reef. The temperature is warmer than I would like it to be. My basic thermometer usually shows the temperature somewhere in the low to mid 80's. I've tried installing fans under the hood, filling plastic water bottles...
  2. wartooth1

Looking for that crown jewel fish for my tank.

Hello everyone, I've slowly been restocking my 90 gallon reef and I'm pretty much at the point with it that I'm looking for that one WOW fish to add to it. I am contemplating a young Australian Harlequin Tusk that if kept well fed, would hopefully not prey upon my inverts (which include a Fire...
  3. wartooth1

Check out my new Sun Coral :)

Just got this over the weekend. Its about the size of a baseball if you cut it in half. Whats really awesome about this Sun, is that its been opening during the day! The pic of it here was taken this morning after the lights have been on for about 45 minutes. It will probably close up in the...
  4. wartooth1

I don't know if this is a known issue regarding LED lights so...

Its something thats been bothering me... but I've noticed that over the course of the last year... half of my coral's coloring faded away very slowly. Mostly reds have gone. It happened so slowly that I didn't really notice this effect until I compared some old pics of the coral with how they...
  5. wartooth1

Have some crabs that need ID

Hello, I got 3 neat looking crabs from the LFS. I know much about them other than what the people at the shop told me (which is they don't get much bigger than their current size, they're not aggressive, and they're reef safe). They're maybe a little bigger than your decent sized Emerald Crab...
  6. wartooth1

Welso Brain began showing skeleton. What to do?

Hey all, I just came back from a 3 day trip from Vegas and the 1st thing I noticed is that my Welso Brain coral, which has been happy in my tank for the past 9 months, is now showing its skeleton. During the day it puffs up like normal and you can't really see it, but at night when it receeds...
  7. wartooth1

How to screen powerheads.

Hey guys, I was wondering what the best methods are to screen your powerheads so that delicate creatures such has sea hares and cucumbers don't get sucked up are without weakening the flow? If you have any "how to" pics that would be great to! Thanks! :D
  8. wartooth1

Algae is beginning to appear on my Xmas Favia. How do I remove it?

Title pretty much says it all. What is the best way to remove the algae without harming the coral? OR Is/will the algae even harmful to the coral? Here's a pic: In case you can't see it, its the darker green patch near the "top" of the coral in the pic.
  9. wartooth1

Starfish injury?

So I've had this starfish in my tank for several months now, and everything seems great. Last week I noticed that it looked like the tip of one of its "arms" got squished flat somehow. I have no idea how it happened since I haven't moved any rocks around and I don't have any other creatures that...
  10. wartooth1

Thinking about a nudibranch tank. What would the essentials be?

Hey all so I've been daydreaming of a second reef tank for a while now and I think the thing I would like to try would be a reef that would feature a collection of nudibranches. They are just so colorful and beautiful that I'd love to give a tank for them a shot. I know that most are poisonous...
  11. wartooth1

Amazing finds at a new shop in SoCal.

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by praising a new store I found but I've had such an amazing experience at this one shop LA I feel I need to get the word out. So I thought I've been to all the shops in my local area until some random youtube video poped up about a shop in Santa Monica...
  12. wartooth1

How long can a protien skimmer be turned off for?

So I've begun raising live brine shrimp for my tank, but I'm worried that the protien skimmer might be sucking up the baby shrimps when the eggs hatch and they swim out of the hatchery. It takes a few days for all the eggs to hatch so I'm wondering if I had my protien skimmper off during this...
  13. wartooth1

There must be ****** in my saltwater!

Because my water gets harder and harder every time I test it! Seriously though, whenever I test for my water's hardness, the water seems to be harder than the last time. On the instructions it states to bring the hardness down, I need to do a water change, but every time I test the water the day...
  14. wartooth1

Junk tank. Is it salvageable or garbage?

Ok so last year when I was first looking for a tank, my brother-in-law's friend gave me his 90 gallon show tank for free (he was desperate to get it out of the house). The tank itself is in sorry condition IMO. Although the class is thick (about 1 inch or so) its scratched up pretty much...
  15. wartooth1

Welcome to the middle of the film! Its time to play Find The Fish!

It went wherever I didn't gooooo! Ok the rules are simple. Post a pic of your tank and everyone else has to guess the names of all the fish/inverts/and corals in the pic. The owner of the tank will give out 1 point for each correct guess. NO CHEATING! No googling or looking up in a book or...
  16. wartooth1

Tips on seeding a tank with copepods if you don't have a fuge?

Hi all. I've wanted a Mandarin for a while now (and my wife loves them too) but I've never got one because of their specific feeding requirements and the fact that I don't have a refugium on my tank. But then I got too thinking... What if I were to get live pods, and then at night after the...
  17. wartooth1

Does this Elegance coral looks happy to you guys?

I've had this frag for a few months now and it seems pretty tough to please. So far I've never been able to get its tentacles to extend as long as it has when I first seen it at the store, and every now and then I've been moving it around the tank in the hopes to find the "sweet spot" for it in...
  18. wartooth1

SPS bleaching but only where the light does not touch it. Worry or not?

So I got this orange digitata that has been in my tank for a few months and seems to be doing really well, but the other day I noticed that the back of it (where I've had it lean against some rock for stability) is completely bleached out. I'm guessing this is because the light cannot reach...
  19. wartooth1

Yuma Mushroom Fail.

Hey all! Hope the new year is starting out good for ya! So over the holiday weekend I stop into a random LFS and saw a really beautiful neon orange Yuma mushroom with a pricetag of only $25. Normally these guys at other stores are priced around $85-$150 so I happily bought the little guy...
  20. wartooth1

I think I got a sick starfish, what to do?

Hey all, So yesterday I noticed one of my starfish was acting strange. In the morning I noticed as it was climbing up a wall it had one of its arms totally flopped over its back and it looked kind of knotted or twisted. When I came home from work that evening, I noticed that it was looking like...