Search results

1. kniquy

An off topic question

I have been out of the hobby and off this forum for quite some time, but I thought there used to be a forum section for selling/trading equipment. I tried looking but could not find it. If there is could you point me in the right direction? Unfortunately, the equipment i have is just taking...
  2. kniquy

75 gal reef ready tank FS - western MA area

I am taking a break from the hobby due to demands of life (work and family). In the next couple of weeks i will have my AGA 75 gal reef ready tank ready (one left corner over flow) for sale. I am selling the tank only as i will be keeping all my other equipment and the stand. The tank is about...
  3. kniquy

what size RO/DI unit?

I am in the market to purchase a ro/di unit for my top off and saltwater mix. I see that there are various units out there from 3 stage to up to 7 stage. The water in my town is actually really good (I work at a dialysis unit and they send the water to a lab to test -- the results are almost...
  4. kniquy

wavemaker pro question for those who have used the product

I recently purchased the wavermaker pro for my 75g and have yet to set it up. I currently have a tunze 6025 pump and only one smaller low flow pump. My question is - with using the wavemaker do i have to purchase special pumps? or will any pump work. I am hoping my tunze will operate...
  5. kniquy

Help!! brown stringy Algae

My tank has been beautiful for the past few months -- no crazy algae only a little which would appear on some rocks and nothing that my tang and my mexican turbos couldn't take care of. I recently did a 25% water change and then a week later changed my lights from 250 14K MH to T5's -- I now...
  6. kniquy

timer for lights

I recently upgraded to 3 2 bulb T5 retro units. I am in search for an inexpensive timer. I thought i found a good one at home depot that looked like it had 4 programable timer plugs but each plug is not able to be individually programmed so I am returning it. I have used in the past just...
  7. kniquy

T5 lighting schedule -- suggestions please

I just received my sunlight T5 retro for my 75g. I have 3- 2 bulb units. The bulbs that i am starting out with are 3-12K, 1 purple and 2 actinic. I am thinking i will have my 2 actinics come on first then an hour or so later the purple and one 12 K then the last 2 12K for a shorter photo...
  8. kniquy

Tank Maintenance Check list

I am just curious if anyone has some sort of check list of your monthly, weekly tank maintenance. I am someone that survives on check lists. I want to create a check list for my tank to keep me on track. I want to make sure that i can ensure the best health for my 75gal. I obviously know that...
  9. kniquy

anemone gone wild

I had purchased a bubble tip anemone from here. It had been healthy and looked good. My problem that i had with it was that it would not attach and stay in one spot. At night it would stretch out and try and touch other corals (ones that were probably 6 inches away!!) It moved around so much...
  10. kniquy

Coral magazine

I am always looking to read more up on this hobby and was wondering if anyone has ever subscribed to the magazine coral. If so -- it is pretty expensive $37 for one year and it is only 6 issues. If you get it or have gotten it in the past let me know if you think it is worth the money. If...
  11. kniquy

75gal T5 lighting recommendations

Hi all - i am back and forth with my lighting upgrade for my 75g reef. As much a i would like to purchase LED's after doing some research they are a bit over what i want to spend. I could purchase them but then would have no $$ to purchase and live stock for my tank. I am planning on...
  12. kniquy

LED for 75gal

I am looking at purchasing an new lighting system for my 75gal reef. I don't want to be limited on what I can keep with my lighting . I was initally looking at T5 HO lighting but I am getting a pretty good rebate from upgrading my home heating system so i am thinking of splurging and...
  13. kniquy

deep blue solar extreme T5 lighting

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone has heard of or has had experience with the Deep blue solar extreme T5 lighting. I am searching around to upgrade to a lower heat output (have 2-250W MH - horrible in the summer!!). I have a 75g and want to be able to keep any and all types of corals. The...
  14. kniquy

lighting for a 75g reef

I thought that i would post this here instead of the equipment because i figured you all would be more particular about your lighting with a reef tank. I am looking to get rid of my 250W MH and change to a T5 set up. Maybe i am crazy to get rid of the MH or maybe not but they are horrible to...
  15. kniquy

xenia closing up

I purchased a Xenia from swf.com. when i received it the piece looked great and did for the first week. Now for some reason all the - i guess you would call them polyps - look like they are getting whiter and smaller. I have a 75g with 2-250w MH both 10K. My actininc's died so i don't have...
  16. kniquy

t5 lighting on ebay

17. kniquy

water from dehumidifier

I was just curious. With the humid weather upon us i have my dehumidifier running non-stop. Is the water that it produces safe to use in a reef tank. I have yet to test what comes out of it but wondering if anyone else had or does any one else use it in their tanks. I would imagin that...
  18. kniquy

Mr. Rebates get 3% back on SWF.com purchases

Has anyone check out MR. Rebates It is a web site that you can get rebates from hundreds of places that you may shop from online. I happened to notice that swf.com is on there and you can get a 3% rebate on purchases you make. Check out the mr.rebates web site.
  19. kniquy

green brain coral discharge

I just recently purchased (about 4 days ago) a green brain coral. It appears to be acclimating ok. Today i noticed this brown discharge that was coming from one of the "mouths" of the brain. I watched it for a few minutes and it eventually completely came out and detached. It looked kind of...
  20. kniquy

T5 vs MH lighting

I am at a cross roads right now. I have 2-250w MH that need to be replaced. I am probably looking to spend about $120 for them, maybe a little more. (That price is for the 2 not each). After talking to my LFS he was saying that he is actually getting rid of his MH lighting and going to T5...