Search results

1. hairtrigger

Do detrivores in the fuge really make it up to the display through the pump?

Because I've heard pods and things like that do. However, I'm wondering if it's not just better to transfer some fuge sand into the display. Chock full 'o critters. :cool:
  2. hairtrigger

Will red legged hermits eat pods and bugs and critters in fuge?

Wondering. Because I'm about to order a clean up crew for my 55gallon fuge. And I'm curious whether red leg hermits will decrease the "breeding capacity" of the detrivores. :cool:
  3. hairtrigger

Can a CBS turn over and eat snails and red legged hermits?

Yes or no? Cause I've seen a decrease in my display's clean up crew. However, my fuge's cleaners are a-ok. Now, this CBS has a notorious history. He's also a convicted shrimp killer. Repeat offender. In fact, I'm wondering if I may have to get rid of him if he's killing my cleaners. I saw him...
  4. hairtrigger

I see lots of new members, so trying again... any GA reefers here?

Yes. Any reefers in GA on the board? I'm always looking to expand my trading grounds. I know y'all are too. So, anyone living around the A-T-L? And Fishpoker... :D ... I mean Fishkiller, you don't count here. In fact, you don't count anywhere. :eek: :p :eek:
  5. hairtrigger

Specific Fuge Macroalgaes... good, bad, effects. What's the word?

Caulerpa is probably the most widely used macroalgae for fuges. Although, Ive heard there are some negative side effects associated with it. So, what are these side effects? And are they easy fixes? Also: I've heard some of the other macroalgaes are just as beneficial to a fuge without the side...
  6. hairtrigger

Post your pods, worms, reef bugs... etc.

I'd like to see pictures of the different kinds of detrivores people have in their DSB. Like pods, worms, bugs, etc. Also, if you could ID them along with the pic, that would be great. I see a ton of new, interesting things crawling around my fuge. And some of them are bizarre and foreign to...
  7. hairtrigger

Mods, NE1, Need some fast sand advice. Plz help!!!!

Ok, like I've said recently, I have some DSB critters on the way today. My question is: For my fuge: Why do people choose southdown over other sands? Now, I have an aragonite DSB in my display. But, I'd like to save money by not putting tons of aragonite in my 55 gallon sump/ soon to be fuge...
  8. hairtrigger

Safe area for DSB critters?

Ok, I have a great shipment of DSB detrivores and critters arriving tomorrow. This includes pods, worms, snails, bugs, etc. The reason I got them is because the DSB in my display simply doesn't have enough such life to be effective. So, basically there aren't enough detrivores living in it...
  9. hairtrigger

Flame angels eat algae right. So...

will they eat caulerpa? What about shaving brushes? The plant. Not the barber's tool, wiseguy. :D
  10. hairtrigger

Tell me about your...

REEF-UGE-IUM!!!!! I am getting some caulerpa shipped to me and need some info on making a fuge. Well, no, and yes. I have a 55 gallon sump behind my display. I've got enough stuff to put a 5-inch sandbed in there. Now, I know a fuge doesn't need much besides floursecent lighting. My...
  11. hairtrigger

There's a story on CNN Headline News about Clownfish...

It is a package by Sean Callebs and should be running through the morning. Up until 7am ET I believe. It's a good story. And I am pretty sure he mentions that the fish need to be cared for correctly. Kind of a folo wrap about Nemo. PS... the guy who owns the LFS that he interviewed is the...
  12. hairtrigger

Hmmmm. Um, cleaner crew in overflow box?

Yeah. Does this sounds strange. Whatever. How many people have some form of a cleanup crew in their overflow box? Snails? Maybe a hermit? Anything? Just curious. Because I see some minor, slight algae, or crap, or something on parts of my overflow. There's also some sediment in the...
  13. hairtrigger

Not your typical water change theory...

Or is it? I dunno. But this just occured to me while staring at my tank. You know how there is minor controversy about whether you should do routine water changes or simply top-off evaporated water and add chemicals. Well, ok. There is. And I was wondering, what if you combined the two...
  14. hairtrigger

BANG, or other DSB experts: Is it true that a DSB...

needs to have as much of the top layer exposed as possible for the DSB to function at top proficiency? EG, not under caves or anything, but open and exposed to the lights. OR, can you have LR all over the place, crammed in your tank as long as the DSB is over 4 inches for the denitrification...
  15. hairtrigger

Correct skimming method, amount of waste?

How much crap do you get out of your skimmer each day? Cause Im wondering if I could up my skimmer's flow. I get about a 2-3 cups a week, maybe 12-20 counces. However, I saw plum mention that he gets about 16 ozs a day from one of his systems. That made me wonder if my skimmer isnt proficient...
  16. hairtrigger

For preventing cyano on a DSB:

What is more important? I have plenty of water flow above my DSB from pumps in the corners of my tank, and the return valve. However, I also have two powerheads blowing across the mid section of my tank. I noticed that my cyano covers only my DSB, nowhere else. Now, the above listed spots...
  17. hairtrigger

Ophiura, or any other people who know about starfishies:

I saw that SWF is having a special in u-build it on Orange, AKA Red, Linkia stars. According to the description SWF gives, Orange Linkias are absolutly completely reef safe and only feed on algae on the aquarium glass and rockwork. Is this true? Because I know some stars eat corals and fish...
  18. hairtrigger

Can a DSB be too deep?

Yeah. Just curious. Mine is about 6-7 inches in some places. But, I think it is seriously lacking in detrivores such as worms, pods, etc. That could be the problem, and not the depth. Just curious though. Cause Im battling cyano on the DSB only. Yes, I know that low flow, phosphates, and light...
  19. hairtrigger

Cleaners eating dead fishie...

Ok, so my Yellow Tang kicked it. My fault. Anyways, before I could retrieve his body, one of my brittle stars dragged him into the rocks and started eating him. Well, in my size tank, there is no retrieving anything from behind the rocks, caves, etc. So, then, my other brittles join in, as...
  20. hairtrigger

Why would cyano...

Stay only on the DSB and not be anywhere on the rocks. I have been fighting this recently. And last night, it looked like my cleanup crew had almost gotten it under control on the DSB. My water is great now, it is just that the existing cyano seems to be spreading. That's what Im having...