Search results

1. yosemite sam

Worm on soft coral

I've had this Stereonephthya for several weeks but I just noticed this worm a few days ago. I thought it was a small brittle star at first, as I've had some on other soft corals, but it's definitely a worm. It's probably 6" - 8" long, and as thick as angel-hair pasta. It doesn't appear to be...
  2. yosemite sam

My 48 gallon tall reef column

Here are a few shots of my 48 gallon tall. It's been up and running for a year. The rockwork (40 lbs) is a tower I created by drilling the rock and stacking the pieces on pvc supports. Other equipment: 150 watt Sunpod HQI lighting, ASM G1x skimmer, two Vortech pumps set on anti-sync pulse and...
  3. yosemite sam

A few Monday macros

From my tank... Yumas Stereonephthya Favia Frogspawn
  4. yosemite sam

Wow! Bad bad nudi

I came home tonight to find one of my lobophytums half-dead. I've lost two other leathers in the past two weeks that I couldn't explain, which had me frustrated. As I was looking around the coral, I spotted a huge leather-eating nudi I have no idea how long this has been in the tank, but I...
  5. yosemite sam

Whew!

I've been hearing clicking in my tank for quite some time, and worried about a mantis, I finally got around to looking for the source. Fortunately, it was coming from a small rock that was easy to get to, and look what popped out, a little pistol shrimp! I was surprised how loud the clicks...
  6. yosemite sam

Ophiura - Asterina question

I first noticed these guys several months ago, but recently they seem to have started to multiply. I thought (and still think) they are asterinas, but they seem to only eat my coraline algae. They are white with bluish dots and are out all day. The other asterinas I have are tan and usually...
  7. yosemite sam

Some tank pictures

I haven't posted any pictures for a while, so I figure I'd throw up a few. I hope you enjoy....
  8. yosemite sam

A few photos...

My tank crashed in a power outage back in July, and I lost a lot of really nice corals, many that I had grown from little frags. It was hard looking at my tank, and seeing all the empty space, but I've been slowly rebuilding. Here are a few shots I thought I'd share. The first two are some of...
  9. yosemite sam

A couple of shots from the top

I hope everyone had a good holiday and new years. I was working on the tank yesterday and took a few shots from the top. They're a little blury in places, and there's some glare, but I think they look kinda cool.
  10. yosemite sam

Saturday six-pack

I hope everyone is having a great pre-holiday weekend! Is everyone done with their shopping? Here are a few photos of my tank I've taken over the week. I only have one large fish, my Foxface. He's been a great tank citizen, although he's a little shy around the camera. I thought this was...
  11. yosemite sam

Sunday Morning 12-Pack

My 75 gallon recently passed it's first birthday and I thought I'd share some picture of the tank. I've been really pleased with the growth and colors in a lot of my corals. There have been a few bumps along the way, including some skimmer issues over the summer that made a lot of my acros...
  12. yosemite sam

Ophiura....Can you ID??

I was looking in my tank last night, and noticed this little guy feeding. At first I thought it was algae, but after watching it for a while, it started to move. It has I think 5 arms, each of which can coil and uncoil independently. I asked some friends, and we've come up with either a...
  13. yosemite sam

Funky clown goby

I seem to have luck with this sort of thing. This is the second Clown Goby I've found as a hitch hiker. It usually doesn't sit still long enough to let me take a photo, but today I got lucky. I was surprised to see the mouth, which is pretty distinctive, and I believe it's a Gobiodon brochus...
  14. yosemite sam

A few of my zoos....

I was taking some pictures of the tank the last few days, and thought I'd do a post of some of my zoos. A few of these I've had for a while, and a few are recent additions. You have to love the diversity in colors zoos have, I think they add a lot to my tank. Feel free to post some of your...
  15. yosemite sam

Snail ID

I found this little guy on some zoos I just got. It's about 1 centimeter long. It was on the rock the zoos are on, but not near the zoos themselves. Any ideas?
  16. yosemite sam

Ophiura - ID please?

Ophiura, I found this little guy on a coral I recently bought. It looks just like my big brittle star, but I wasn't sure if it is a baby, or some small brittle. It's black/deep purple, and the disk is about 4 mm in diameter, and arm tip to arm tip is probably a litte over 2 inches. Any ideas?
  17. yosemite sam

Chiller life span?

I have a 1/5 hp aqualogic chiller that has recently not been keeping up. I've had it about a year and a half, and generally it has worked really well, but now is struggling. It's set to come on when the temp hits 82, and goes off when it goes down to 80. In the past this has taken just an...
  18. yosemite sam

Another hitch hiker ID....

Hmmmm....what could it be. :thinking: This little guy was actually a hitch hiker I got on a coral a while ago. I was so surprised when I got home and saw him in the bag!!! Today he finally cooperated and let me take his picture.
  19. yosemite sam

Saturday 6-Pack

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Here are a few recent shots from my tank: 1: Monti. digitata 2: A. millepora 3: Stylophora 4: A. verweyi, a recent aquaculture pickup that's starting to come out. It's got blue polyps on the tips that don't show up really well in the picture.
  20. yosemite sam

Hitchhiker Identifications

Red Bugs: Red bugs are very very small, bright orange/red arthropods that attack SPS corals. There is some debate as to the level of danger these pests pose to corals. Many people note loss of color and slowed growth. In my personal experience with them I have seen actual tissue recession in...