101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

denise

I think this is an awsome thread and am very glad I found it. I have just started my very first swt and am very excited. I have a 75g and have put in about 75 lbs. of live rock. I love the live rock and some coral stuff is starting to grow on it. I am bless to have found a store here with a lady that seems to know a lot about this. She has so far had me do the same things that you have said. 4 days ago I finally got to put snails and crabs in the tank. My next step is the fish. The store that I shop at does not have a large varity of fish and i have been looking online at them all and trying to make a list of what I want. The Panther Grouper was one of my choices but I have learned on here that if you have one u don't have much room for very many more. I would like to have several fish but not overstocked. I am liking the Blonde Naso Tang aka lipstick tang or the Chevron Tang. Any imput on either of these?
Thank you so much for this site, it gives me time to read and study on what I need. I would be interested in knowing if you were able to get the book published I would like to find it if so.
Again Thank you
Densie

king_neptune

Of the three tangs, I heard good about blond naso, and I think the chevron is accepted as a pretty nice tang too. Not sure about the third. And ya, goodbye grouper ^_^
I really like the powdered blue tang and the purple tang. Check those out. Pretty mellow tangs as well.

denise

Thanks King_Neptune, Yes I have checked out the powder blue tank and it is really pretty I will have to check out the purple tank, but I think I have decided on a Goldring Bristletooth or the Sailfin desjardinii. Lee Ann at the aquraium store vetoed the Blonde and Chevron Tangs. She knows what my tank is and is very good in saying no u don't want that in this tank. I really like the help. And also a Bluethroat Trigger and the Potters Angel for my big fish. Today I bought a Sixline Wasse, Royal Gramma and a Diamond Watchman. I hope to add a Fairy Wrasse or Potter's Leopard Wrasse. and a couple of Bangaii Cardinal's.

fool

I have been off and on into maintaining a marine tanks for a few years now but this is the best information I have ever read. I really needed this refresher and I learn so much from your vaulable information.

Wow, that's very informative! I am beginner for saltwater aquarium. I am going to go thru it again, and make sure to read all your posts. Thanks Lion Crazz

thelameball2

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BANG GUY
1. HE IS A DIRTY ROTTON HOBO
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
3. NEVER MIND SHE IS AN IT
4. HE IS A LONER
5. HE IS GOING TO TAKE OVER THE GOVERNMENT
6. HE LOVES BETH TO DEATH
7. HE THINKS SCSINET IS A RETARD
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE IS A 4 HEADED ALIEN FROM THE PLANET ZORCOCK
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT SCSInet
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE THINKS HE IS ALL THAT GREAT
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
SCSINET WAS BORN ON AUGUST 23, 78BC. HE LIVED IN A CAVE AS A CHILD AND GREW UP TO BE A SASQUATCH. THERE HE ROAMED THE CANADIAN FOREST AS A LONER. LATER HE LEARNED TO SHAVE (FINALLY) AND LIVE AMONG THE RETARD POPULATION. HE SOON LOST HIS TEETH AND HIS IQ DROPPED TO 0.05. SCSINET CURRENTLY LIVES ON THE STREETS OF DC BEGGING FOR MONEY. EVERYBODY HATES HIM!
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
SCSINET WAS BORN ON AUGUST 23, 78BC. HE LIVED IN A CAVE AS A CHILD AND GREW UP TO BE A SASQUATCH. THERE HE ROAMED THE CANADIAN FOREST AS A LONER. LATER HE LEARNED TO SHAVE (FINALLY) AND LIVE AMONG THE RETARD POPULATION. HE SOON LOST HIS TEETH AND HIS IQ DROPPED TO 0.05. SCSINET CURRENTLY LIVES ON THE STREETS OF DC BEGGING FOR MONEY. EVERYBODY HATES HIM!
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:

myjj5454

Dont forget to have a backyard grill featuring your favorate fish. like salted tang or fried cleaner shrimp. mmmmmmmm tasty.

hi, im lokkin forwards to buying a 29 gallon nano cube........ i wanted to now wat kind of corals CAN i add and if any anemones? also i wanted to now if a mated pair of ocellaris clowns and a goby would be understocking or over stocking?
thanks

kieffer5

thanks for the great info one question about live sand.. i have a freshwater tank now with sandblasting sand in it ,not sure of the real name, and was wondering if that would be considered live sand and if it would be alright to use that as a biological filter?

bugsman

This is a super thread. Right now my new tank is cycling. It'll be up two weeks come Saturday. I only have live rock and live sand in place right now. I had to get get some Joe's Juice as one piece of live rock had a few of those aipstasia's on it. This forum helped me with all that when I first noticed them, thinking I had something good going on. I do have a question, though. I only have about 15# of live rock in a 28g tank. I was thinking about adding another 15# - will that work out okay and do I have to let it cycle again before I add a clean up crew to it?

R

roushsm

Wow. I am on day 5 of my first ever saltwater tank (and hour 1 on this site!) - thank you so much for your diligence. I am very relieved to have stumbled on this list and will certainly put your advice to good use

P

patti w

i, also, have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! lots of things i did not know! especially about the air bubbles. took that out already!
thanks a million, ill continue reading now.....