101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

jbyers4

Thank you for this posting. I bought a used 37 gallon tank that came with live rock, live sand and filtration. I plan on cleaning it out as there is algea build up. I will be going through the checklist. This is more technical than my law school books!
Any recommendation as to how long I should wait before adding any fish? What starter fish is recommended?
Thanks,
Jane

dan027bucsko

Hi All.
I'm new to this forum. I look forward to chatting about Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium and getting to know all of you. Feel free to reach out to chat with me at the address in my signature."
http://danielbucsko.org/

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan027bucsko http:///t/301033/101-tips-to-beginning-and-maintaining-a-saltwater-aquarium/180#post_3509662
Hi All.
I'm new to this forum. I look forward to chatting about Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium and getting to know all of you. Feel free to reach out to chat with me at the address in my signature."
http://danielbucsko.org/

LOL...It's a forum...Welcome to the site!
Chat right here on the site so everyone can get to know you.

phrubesky

I am new to this forum and I wasn't sure how or where to begin this line of discussion. I am getting out of the hobby and have a 75 gallon set-up that I will give to someone who will come and remove it. I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. You can reach me at phrubesky@comcast.net.

jayjay5531

Thank you so much! This was extraordinarily helpful! I do have a few questions (actually a lot) about some of the points, hopefully you or others can help me out?
30.) Out of curiosity, how long does the cycle process tend to take? I know for freshwater it is around 4-6 weeks. Also, do you happen to know if freshwater nitrifying bacteria are the same species as those in saltwater? I have a canister filter for a very established 36 gallon freshwater tank (I recently gave away all the fish, drained the tank, and turned it into saltwater). Will using this same mature canister filter (it has ceramic bio-media, and I just added some live rock rubble) help speed the process?
34.) Can you have a clean-up crew in a FOWLR or does it have to be in a reef tank? Obviously I'm just starting with a FOWLR. Do you have any specific recommendations for a clean-up crew for a 36 gallon FOWLR (I'm planning on definitely having clownfish and firefish, and MAYBE basslets or gobies or cardinalfish or wrasses of some kind). I've heard cleaner shrimp, Nassarius snails, etc., but I want to make sure I get a variety of species to cover all bases. Also, do you have specific recommendations for substrate (including brand, etc.)
46.) What would an air pump be for? Surely not for air bubbles? I'm missing something here, excuse my ignorance...
47.) What are a good recommended saltwater feeder fish? (Nothing I'm planning on keeping needs live fish, but I was curious for future reference).
61.) I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about tangs. Of course I'd never consider keeping a tang in my 36 gallon permanently - I realize they can get HUGE - but my LFS offers a deal where you can trade in the fish once it's doubled in size. On one hand I've heard of the so-called "tang police" that claim tangs need 6 feet of swimming space - on the other hand, I've seen some people argue that their smaller tangs seem perfectly happy in their smaller tanks and that imposing a size requirement on tangs (and not necessarily any other fish) seems arbitrary.
62.) "live rock that is overgrown with worms, sponge, and things of that nature" - how do you get this to happen? Of course it just takes time, but how do you help start these types of beneficial organisms to colonize your live rock in the first place?
70.) Does one yellow tang with one blue tang in a sufficiently large tank ever work?
84.) Does this basically mean that you're screwed if your FOWLR or Reef tank ever get ich?
91.) Are there an SW fish that cannot tolerate a very high flow?
93.) What are some more examples of pairing or schooling fish? I have often seen clowns, firefish, cardinals, and wrasses in small groups or pairs.
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again so much for all your help!!!

jayjay5531

Thank you so much! This was extraordinarily helpful! I do have a few questions (actually a lot) about some of the points, hopefully you or others can help me out?
30.) Out of curiosity, how long does the cycle process tend to take? I know for freshwater it is around 4-6 weeks. Also, do you happen to know if freshwater nitrifying bacteria are the same species as those in saltwater? I have a canister filter for a very established 36 gallon freshwater tank (I recently gave away all the fish, drained the tank, and turned it into saltwater). Will using this same mature canister filter (it has ceramic bio-media which has been running in the FW tank filter for years, and I just added some live rock rubble) help speed the process?
34.) Can you have a clean-up crew in a FOWLR or does it have to be in a reef tank? Obviously I'm just starting with a FOWLR. Do you have any specific recommendations for a clean-up crew for a 36 gallon FOWLR (I'm planning on definitely having clownfish and firefish, and MAYBE basslets or gobies or cardinalfish or wrasses of some kind). I've heard cleaner shrimp, Nassarius snails, etc., but I want to make sure I get a variety of species to cover all bases. Also, do you have specific recommendations for substrate (including brand, etc.)
46.) What would an air pump be for? Surely not for air bubbles? I'm missing something here, excuse my ignorance...
47.) What are a good recommended saltwater feeder fish? (Nothing I'm planning on keeping needs live fish, but I was curious for future reference).
61.) I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about tangs. Of course I'd never consider keeping a tang in my 36 gallon permanently - I realize they can get HUGE - but my LFS offers a deal where you can trade in the fish once it's doubled in size. On one hand I've heard of the so-called "tang police" that claim tangs need 6 feet of swimming space - on the other hand, I've seen some people argue that their smaller tangs seem perfectly happy in their smaller tanks and that imposing a size requirement on tangs (and not necessarily any other fish) seems arbitrary.
62.) "live rock that is overgrown with worms, sponge, and things of that nature" - how do you get this to happen? Of course it just takes time, but how do you help start these types of beneficial organisms to colonize your live rock in the first place?
70.) Does one yellow tang with one blue tang in a sufficiently large tank ever work?
84.) Does this basically mean that you're screwed if your FOWLR or Reef tank ever get ich?
91.) Are there an SW fish that cannot tolerate a very high flow?
93.) What are some more examples of pairing or schooling fish? I have often seen clowns, firefish, cardinals, and wrasses in small groups or pairs.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay5531 http:///t/301033/101-tips-to-beginning-and-maintaining-a-saltwater-aquarium/180#post_3519811
30.) Out of curiosity, how long does the cycle process tend to take? I know for freshwater it is around 4-6 weeks. Also, do you happen to know if freshwater nitrifying bacteria are the same species as those in saltwater? I have a canister filter for a very established 36 gallon freshwater tank (I recently gave away all the fish, drained the tank, and turned it into saltwater). Will using this same mature canister filter (it has ceramic bio-media which has been running in the FW tank filter for years, and I just added some live rock rubble) help speed the process? Clean everything out and start with the rubble in the canister. I'd honestly look into running a sump tho (coming from a guy who began SW using a canister).
34.) Can you have a clean-up crew in a FOWLR or does it have to be in a reef tank? Obviously I'm just starting with a FOWLR. Do you have any specific recommendations for a clean-up crew for a 36 gallon FOWLR (I'm planning on definitely having clownfish and firefish, and MAYBE basslets or gobies or cardinalfish or wrasses of some kind). I've heard cleaner shrimp, Nassarius snails, etc., but I want to make sure I get a variety of species to cover all bases. Also, do you have specific recommendations for substrate (including brand, etc.) A CUC will be fine for most FOWLR setups. Even in our pred setups, we run snails and scarlet reef hermits.
46.) What would an air pump be for? Surely not for air bubbles? I'm missing something here, excuse my ignorance...Aerating replacement or top-up water, emergency water flow for whatever reason, in the case of battery operated pumps, these will save your a$$ in the even of power failures.
47.) What are a good recommended saltwater feeder fish? (Nothing I'm planning on keeping needs live fish, but I was curious for future reference). It depends on what fish you're feeding, and for how long. FW or SW ghost shrimp are one of the best live foods, and are accepted by most preds. FW live bearers (guppies, mollies) are also OK, esp. for temporary use. Damsels are a good food, but we give them a 20 min FW bath "just in case" they have cooties. Whatever you use, be sure to enrich them with a good quality marine flake food. What you want to avoid are Cyprinids (members of the carp family) such as goldfish, rosy reds, etc. They are high in thiaminase, which inhibits the uptake of B1 (thiamin), which leads to CNS disorders, and they also contain the wrong fatty acids
61.) I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about tangs. Of course I'd never consider keeping a tang in my 36 gallon permanently - I realize they can get HUGE - but my LFS offers a deal where you can trade in the fish once it's doubled in size. On one hand I've heard of the so-called "tang police" that claim tangs need 6 feet of swimming space - on the other hand, I've seen some people argue that their smaller tangs seem perfectly happy in their smaller tanks and that imposing a size requirement on tangs (and not necessarily any other fish) seems arbitrary. Keeping juvie fish in smaller setups is fine, IMHO/IME as long as you do indeed go thru with the upgrade, OR have a CERTAIN home for them (I've seen LFS say they'd take fish to get the sale). Anpther thing to consider is that you will likely become attached to your fish and not want to give it up...
62.) "live rock that is overgrown with worms, sponge, and things of that nature" - how do you get this to happen? Of course it just takes time, but how do you help start these types of beneficial organisms to colonize your live rock in the first place? It just happens...that's what's really cool. You never know what you'll see pop up.
70.) Does one yellow tang with one blue tang in a sufficiently large tank ever work? Yep.
84.) Does this basically mean that you're screwed if your FOWLR or Reef tank ever get ich? QT is your best friend...seriously.
91.) Are there an SW fish that cannot tolerate a very high flow? Yes.
93.) What are some more examples of pairing or schooling fish? I have often seen clowns, firefish, cardinals, and wrasses in small groups or pairs. Some anthias do OK in groups, while others will pick each other off. You can keep others in groups too...you can even keep M-F pairs or M-F-F trios of dwarf fuzzy lionfish together. Waspfishes can be kept in groups, as can Leaf fish...you'd really need to ask about whatever fish you're interested in.

Papa

Thank you lion I'm starting a reef tank using your advice.everything is working good almost ready for a clean up crew .best advice ever.I found the advice about filtration and moving the water very helpful