101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by fishwanabe
sorry but whats a "sticky"?
That is when a post gets "stuck" at the top and does not move down the forum.

sepulatian

lion_crazz, perhaps there should be some info on live sand. True live sand vs. the live sand sold dry in a bag. I notice that in NH, FD, and D&T, they are both confused as one and the same, when there is a very big difference between the two.

monkdaily

this is the greatest thing since owning an ocean!

and to think i could have saved millions if i had this list when i started

M

mathwhiz

I used to feel like I was experienced with this hobby - boy do I have a lot to learn after reading this list. We have had a 55 gal. for about 3 years. Most of what we learned was from the owners of a local pet store. I read on your list about mixing the salt and water and letting it set "the recommended 2 to 3 days"? This is the first I have heard of this. We were told that when making a water change - we could use tap water and make our best attempt to make it about ' room temperature' and mix the salt using the salinity gage. We use a five gallon bucket and do this process about 3 times for water changes - pouring each mixed bucket into the tank and then mixing the next one etc. We also add Stress Coat to each mixture to ensure the safety of the tap water. Have we been doing it wrong all this time? Also what exactly is a protien skimmer and what is a reasonable price for a really good one. This is one of those items we thought was 'an extra' and not really needed and we have been wondering lately if we do need one. Thank you in advance for your input.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by mathwhiz
I used to feel like I was experienced with this hobby - boy do I have a lot to learn after reading this list. We have had a 55 gal. for about 3 years. Most of what we learned was from the owners of a local pet store. I read on your list about mixing the salt and water and letting it set "the recommended 2 to 3 days"? This is the first I have heard of this. We were told that when making a water change - we could use tap water and make our best attempt to make it about ' room temperature' and mix the salt using the salinity gage. We use a five gallon bucket and do this process about 3 times for water changes - pouring each mixed bucket into the tank and then mixing the next one etc. We also add Stress Coat to each mixture to ensure the safety of the tap water. Have we been doing it wrong all this time? Also what exactly is a protien skimmer and what is a reasonable price for a really good one. This is one of those items we thought was 'an extra' and not really needed and we have been wondering lately if we do need one. Thank you in advance for your input.
It is absolutely essential that you do water changes precisely (like stated above or similiar) or you very well could kill your inhabitants through shock. Your LFS is greatly misleading you.
Adding stress coat to the water is not good. You do not want to add something that has Aloe Vera to your water. Plus, products like stress coat will make your protein skimmer foam uncontrollably (just so you know, when you get one). I would suggest switching to RO water if your tap has a high TDS. Check it with a TDS meter.
I would certainly suggest getting a protein skimmer because they do an incredible service to any aquarium. Coralife makes an excellent one. You should look to spend between $100-$200 for a good one (depending on your aquarium size). What size tank do you have?

sureone

Dear lion-crazz
You are to be highly commended for your effort in putting together this list. It is extremely informative and very beneficial. It shows a great deal of thoughtfulness when a person spends so much of their time to help others . You are obviously one who has a great deal of passion for this hobby. I am a new comer and I have been doing a lot of reading on the internet as well as books and magazines it the past few months. My research has gained me a lot of knowledge but it also generated a lot of questions . Your efforts have answered most of those. I especially like the fact that you made a list and then went on to explain them rather than just leaving it to “because I said so”.
In a nut shell I would like to say thank you very much for you time and effort it is greatly appreciated.

sabir

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards.

topfins-mj

Fantastic.
To think that on about ten of those I did the wrong thing. this is a great service to those who want to start or are still new in the hobby.
I know I did the damsel cycle, and added fish with out thinking, etc. Man!! I could have saved at least a few thousand dollars if this information was passed on to me.
Newbies should be rejoicing right now.

deathrow

That was great. Read every word. I am just starting my saltwater tank and this thread cleared lots of questions up for me. Thanks heaps!

king_neptune

OMG WOW ty ty ty ty ty.
seriouslythanks so much for that super condensed 101 to reefing. please keep this one up as a sticky it was a great intro to this hobby.

kekie

Lion- you have actually given me a little hope with my 55 gallon tank. I am so new to this and I have really been struggling with everything... algae, fish, water issue's... and I don't have a very knowledgable LFS. This forum is so helpful, and your suggestions have given me the drive to keep on going!!! Is it ethical on the thread to ask for you to email me... I would love to discuss topics more in depth as you are so knowledgable... please let me know if you would mind. Thanks....

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by kekie
Lion- you have actually given me a little hope with my 55 gallon tank. I am so new to this and I have really been struggling with everything... algae, fish, water issue's... and I don't have a very knowledgable LFS. This forum is so helpful, and your suggestions have given me the drive to keep on going!!! Is it ethical on the thread to ask for you to email me... I would love to discuss topics more in depth as you are so knowledgable... please let me know if you would mind. Thanks....
Not a problem whatsoever.

My email is Ry84@MSN.com.
Anyone is welcome to email me as often as they like.