101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

newbfish

hey I was reading your tips and was wondering what else can i feed my fish. I have a lion fish and your tips say not to use freshwater feeders. What is the best choice of live feeding?

newbfish

Are those the brown looking ones that grow everywhere and spread fast? and what's so bad about having them?

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by NewbFish
hey I was reading your tips and was wondering what else can i feed my fish. I have a lion fish and your tips say not to use freshwater feeders. What is the best choice of live feeding?
Ghost shrimp are the absolute best. Gut load them with a nutritious meal like krill or prawn.

jigga w00t

Thanks for posting all this info, I had no idea what an aiptasia anemone is, and it turns out I've got 3 that I will be destroying very soon...muhahah

lion_crazz

Are those the brown looking ones that grow everywhere and spread fast? and what's so bad about having them?
Yes they are, and they are bad because they sting fish, inverts, and coral.

newbfish

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Ghost shrimp are the absolute best. Gut load them with a nutritious meal like krill or prawn.
I never thought that a lion fish would be able that catch them but thanks for the advice. And I have those anemones growing everywhere!!! How would I get rid of them all?

lion_crazz

I never thought that a lion fish would be able that catch them but thanks for the advice. And I have those anemones growing everywhere!!! How would I get rid of them all?
Joe's Juice as many as you see and keep up on them.

monkdaily

cause we r on the subject of lions i picked up a new one the other day. and ghost shrimp bore him. i have to come back the next day and clean them out. so i got some tiny guppies. they r big enuff and he loves the hunt. well if i feed them these Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes for S/W fish b4 feeding. its all good right? the weaning process takes time and patience sp? so is this the best for the short term

newbfish

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Joe's Juice as many as you see and keep up on them.

What is Joe's Juice? Is that a type of chemical or product?

lion_crazz

What is Joe's Juice? Is that a type of chemical or product?
Chemical that is sold in fish stores that specifically kills nuisance anemones.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by monkdaily
cause we r on the subject of lions i picked up a new one the other day. and ghost shrimp bore him. i have to come back the next day and clean them out. so i got some tiny guppies. they r big enuff and he loves the hunt. well if i feed them these Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes for S/W fish b4 feeding. its all good right? the weaning process takes time and patience sp? so is this the best for the short term
That is not really best but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get them to eat. What kind of lion is it?

monkdaily

ive had 2 fuzzys but now i have a juvi. volitin about 5in from horns to tip of tail. i know guppies are not best. but i dont feed him for 2 days then feed and he recognizes the net that has guppies so in a week or 2 he should be on frozed silversides and such.

newbfish

another problem...
I want to know why air bubbles are bad for the tank.
I have a 30 gal and have and hang on filter. Skilter 400 to be exact and it releases lots of bubbles from the protein skimmer. Well I found a way to minimize the amount of bubbles escaping the filter. How good do these filters work anyway with the protein skimmer and everything?

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by monkdaily
ive had 2 fuzzys but now i have a juvi. volitin about 5in from horns to tip of tail. i know guppies are not best. but i dont feed him for 2 days then feed and he recognizes the net that has guppies so in a week or 2 he should be on frozed silversides and such.
Yep, I agree. For that short amount of time, guppies are fine.
Originally Posted by newbfish

another problem...
I want to know why air bubbles are bad for the tank.
I have a 30 gal and have and hang on filter. Skilter 400 to be exact and it releases lots of bubbles from the protein skimmer. Well I found a way to minimize the amount of bubbles escaping the filter. How good do these filters work anyway with the protein skimmer and everything?
20. AIR BUBBLES ARE BAD FOR A SALTWATER TANK. This means that you want to make sure your sump has baffles to prevent bubbles, and you definitely do not want any air stones in your marine aquarium – whether it be just fish or reef. Air bubbles cause problems to fish and corals alike. The negatives of air bubbles are: air can get lodged in a fishes gills, air stones do not give you gallon per hour turns - like powerheads do, can cause bubble algae (air bubbles all over your live rock - not the bubble algae emerald crabs eat), can cause stress to the fish (popeye), cause salt creep which in turn causes irregular salinity/SG, and when bubbles pop the water can get on your lights causing the life off your lights to decline rapidly. Some periodic air bubbles are not harmful, but constant ones are.
Oh, and those filters are average to below average.

monkdaily

about 1 1/2 hr ago i put 2 of the smaller frozen silversides in the tank after a defrost in tank water and he went right after them with no feeder stick. less than a week.

lion_crazz

Marine Land Emperor filters are ALWAYS a good route to take. Their filters work exceptionally and are worth every dollar.

J

jcardozo

I added dechlorinated water to my new 75g tank, then Ocean salt, set temp to 80degF, turned on 3 Koralias rated at 800gph to mix in the salt and waited 48 hrs. I then checked the SG at 1.027, but noticed that the color of the water is still milky and not quite clear. What am I doing wrong? Are there any tests I should do besides the usual pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
Would it be safe for me to transfer the contents of the 30g tank and if not, your suggestions on going about it.
Thanks for providing us with the great 101 tips.