101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

B

bubba1984

For some reason my ph level keeps droping so what can i do to prevent that.

sepulatian

Lion_crazz, I am sorry, but I have to disagree with one post on your list.
34. THE FIRST THING IN YOUR NEW TANK (ONCE IT IS CYCLED) SHOULD BE A CLEAN-UP CREW. Before any fish enters your tank, you should definitely get a clean-up crew. Once your tank’s ammonia and nitrite spike and come back down to 0, you need to get a beginner clean-up crew to get a lot of the detritus out. A clean-up crew consists of snails, hermit crabs, and maybe a crab or even a shrimp, depending on your nitrate levels. If your nitrate levels are extremely high (above 40), you need to do a water change before ANYTHING into the tank.
I do not think that this is a good idea. Inverts are sensitive and after the tank cycles there are so many fluctuations going on. The algae present is usually diatoms, which most inverts do not eat. There are different blooms that happen depending on the water and lighting. When the fluctuations end there is little for these critters to eat. I think the cleanup crew should not be added right after the cycle. They should be added as needed and as the tank can support them. This is my opinion and observation.

metweezer

Originally Posted by raymondcookjr
http:///forum/post/2464954
U Say Air Bubblers Are Bad So What Is The Air Pump For
I believe he mentioned a battery powered air pump. If you lose your electricity the air pump will provide some much needed oxygen to your tank.
Steve

nicoled29

Hi,
My name is Nicole and I just got a 56 gallon tank. I already have the live rock in it and put the salt in the water. I've only has the take for about a week and when I check the salinity, it's at the level tat is should be. But then the next day the Salinity level will drop. So I added a little more salt just b/c I thought I didnt put enough the first time. But now it's a constant thing happening. I add the salt and the level is where is needs to be, the next day the level drops and i don't know what to do to keep the salinity level consistant. Also I would like to know how long I should wait with the live rock in the take before I start adding any fish. I dont want to add fish too early. Other than that all of my other water levels are accurate. It's just the Salinity level i'm having a problem with. Could you help me?
Thanks

sigmachris

Originally Posted by nicoled29
http:///forum/post/2468197
Hi,
My name is Nicole and I just got a 56 gallon tank. I already have the live rock in it and put the salt in the water. I've only has the take for about a week and when I check the salinity, it's at the level tat is should be. But then the next day the Salinity level will drop. So I added a little more salt just b/c I thought I didnt put enough the first time. But now it's a constant thing happening. I add the salt and the level is where is needs to be, the next day the level drops and i don't know what to do to keep the salinity level consistant. Also I would like to know how long I should wait with the live rock in the take before I start adding any fish. I dont want to add fish too early. Other than that all of my other water levels are accurate. It's just the Salinity level i'm having a problem with. Could you help me?
Thanks
Nicole,
You might want to post this question as a new thread in the New Hobbyist forum, it will get more attention and probably accurate answers. A question for you...you state you add more salt to get the salinity up...are you just pouring salt into the tank? That is a big no, no.
The best way to raise salinity in my humble opinion...let's assume your salinity is 1.018, do a water change of 5 gallons with the new water at 1.028. After a few water changes it will slowly rise. You could also add your top offer water with high salinity salt water to help it rise. After the tank is established though, you only want to use fresh water for top offs. When water evaporates, the H2O leaves the tank but the salt remains behind.
Other more experienced reefers might have some better suggestions.

H

heart & sole

Wow, thanks for taking the time to make this list, helped a great deal when i was setting up my 55gl

ohiofishman

hi lion, i just finish reading about 80% of your thread. i just want to say thanks for your time and effort in putting it together. i have a 55 gallon tank its about 6 months old and i have a about 30 pounds of LR with 1 yellow tang and 1 spotted sweetlip (i know the sweetlip is on your list of fish not to buy, now i'm alittle worried) i just got him 2 days ago...anyways to my question i've always wanted a lionfish. what do i need to do or have to insure the fish stays healthy (and alive)? any tips or info on this matter would be helpful....thanks

lion_crazz

Lionfish are incredibly sensitive to water quality issues. Low nitrates is a must. They are also sensitive when the salinity gets too high or too low. A refractometer is very important here.
Also, be sure not to overfeed them or feed them too much of one or two foods. Mix up their diet.
Lastly, do not feed them any freshwater feeder fish. If you must use live food at first, ghost shrimp are best.
If you have any questions, just post them!

wyndraven

Just wanted to say thanks! This is a VERY helpful article for us newbies to the marine tanks. I just set up my 30g last weekend and love the info that you have provided. Great info for those that do not really have great LFS near them to help them. I am very fortunate to have 2 great LFS fairly close by and my friend works at one and is very knowledgable too!

lion_crazz

Snails and hermit crabs are always a great little crew to start with. No shrimp, stars, urchins, cucumbers, etc. Keep it simple until your tank establishes the original clean-up crew.
Get something like 7 astrea snails, 4 turbo snails, 5 naussarius snails, and 10 hermit crabs.

camanuch

hey lion i want to first start off my saying thankyou for all of your hard work and dedication to this hobby/addiction. i have been around saltwater tanks my entire life due to my father. he has had tanks as long as i can remember. it was only a matter of time till i got into the hobby. been in it for like 2yrs now. my question is what is a good flow rate for my 75 gal fowlr. also i have a thread in lighting equiptment and DIY forum. if there is anything you can recommend for me to add to my tank that would greatly be appreciated. thanks again. and you are a rockstar.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/311705/my-tank
that is a coppy to my tank. thanks