101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

lion_crazz

As for flow, you want to shoot for about 1500 gallons per hour. That would be around 20X the turnover rate.
Basically, I would run a mag drive 9 (giving you roughly 700 gallons per hour) and then 2 Hydor Koralia magnetic pumps, model number 1 (one on each side.) The Koralias will give you 400 gallons per hour each.
I will also check out your thread for you!

robinrouch

Does anyone have a picture of AIPSTASIA or Flat Worms?? I have a new reef tank with lots of critters growing in it but haven't figured out how to ID them (good or bad).

lion_crazz

Aipstasia is very easy to find a picture of (via google).
I will have to look for a planaria (flat worm) picture for you.

K

kikithemermaid

Thanks so much...I just started a month ago and wish I had read this first!

snackdaddy

Lion, this is great info,we have 2 lfs here, one fairly large and one that just started up, so not much of a choice, both contradict each other on some things. A couple of questions, can you have too much live rock, and do denitrators work?

lion_crazz

You cannot have too much live rock. The only time I would say you could have too much is if there was physically no swimming room for the fish. This is the only way. Otherwise, the more biological, the better.
Denitrators do work very well, but the pain with them is that they are costly and they require a lot of tweaking before they work as they should. You need to set them precisely and this can be quite an effort. If you thought protein skimmers needed a lot of tweaking, don't even consider a denitrator. Other than that, yes, they work. They take about 3 months before you see results, but they definitely work if set up properly.
If you ever have any questions you need cleared up or answered, just post them!

lion_crazz

And to anyone who has sent me an email or PM, please know I got your messages and I will most likely have replies sent out tonight. I have been so incredibly busy lately that it has been hard to find some "free" time,

Can you speak to us about inch per gallon on stocking your tank? I have heard a variety of answers. I have a 125 g and thought I had lots of room to add more fish and I think I am learning otherwise.

lion_crazz

Inch per gallon really should not be used. It is an out-dated theory that does not take into account so many different characteristics of the fish such as how wide it gets, how much it eats, and how much space it takes up. Here is an example of why it does not work:
-18 inch panther grouper vs. 18 inch engineer goby
The 18 inch engineer goby will allow you to put so many more fish into the tank with him because he is long and skinny and does not eat very much at all. He has a rather small bioload on the tank. The 18 inch panther grouper will not allow you to put much else into the tank with him because he is a massive fish that eats a lot and excretes a lot of waste as well.

Amazing how fifteen minutes of reading your post has enlightened me on SWF. If only I read this about three months ago. Although I didn't have this to help me when i started, i now have it to change a lot. The time put into this post has helped me and i'm sure others a ton. Thanks a lot.

curiouscutie15

hey lion...that was sweet! how long have u been in this hobby! that was really helpful because i know nothing about this stuff (i basically just got into this hobby)u r really expierienced
lol

reefkprz

Originally Posted by glmule
http:///forum/post/2609796
Sorry I am a newb and was just wondering what you ment by salt creep?
salt creep is a built up of salts and residues caused by splashing water. salts build up in the area where water meets air the tends to "Creep" further causing salt loss and nasty build up.

glmule

can you have to much water turn over? if i put to koralia4's in my 90gal would that be to much movement in a tank that size?

jsbarjon

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2413522
Proper water levels:
pH - 8.2
ammonia/nitrite - always 0
nitrate - under 20-30 for fish only, under 10-20 for a reef. Preferably, if possible, 0.
kH - 8-12 dkH, 143-214 ppm, 2.86 - 4.29 meq/l
calcium - 400-460 ppm
magnesium - 1200-1280
salinity 34-36 ppt (refractometer)
specific gravity - 1.025-1.026 (hydrometer)
temperature - 76-82 (stability is more important here)
Hello Lion... I am really new at this.... Can You please give me some more information when it comes down to the water testing. Like what to do when the levels are high or low.. like on how to bring it to the proper level.....?
Thank You
Sebastien

jsbarjon

http:///forum/post/2619639
Which level were you wondering about? There are different procedures for each water level.
Your tips by the way have been really helpful to me.. Extremely helpful.
For the level, basically i wanted to know if you had like a chart or a description for each of them on how to regulate them to the proper level.
Like for example, when pH is high or low, what is causing that? How to regulate it to the proper level? Something similar to that.
Thank you

jdhorn98

i see you list a few triggers that can be kept with a lion or i guess could be kept with one im asuming with suppervision what are your feelings about a huma huma with a lion do you see this as being an issue with the trigger nibbling on the lion or would it be on teh safer side of things

lion_crazz

Middle ground. Not always a problem, but definitely add it with caution. Your safest bet is making sure the lion is well-established for the humu humu enters the tank.

jdhorn98

http:///forum/post/2681098
Middle ground. Not always a problem, but definitely add it with caution. Your safest bet is making sure the lion is well-established for the humu humu enters the tank.
I will make sure to do that. and by the way this is one of the best post ive read I sat down last night and read it from top to bottom thanks for the great info, ive has a sw tank now for 5 years and suffered a big loss about 3 months ago when the tank sprung a leak and after saving everyone in the tank and setting up a new one I had some sort of out break of bacteria that killed off all but my 2 chromis, so im starting from the beggining all over again and this has been a good place to start with some new thoughts on filtering and setup im going with a 90 now with a 55 as my sump refug set up so lets keep our fingers crossed that i dont have anymore loses like last month, but once again thanks for the time you put into this its been good reading