101 Tips to Beginning and Maintaining a Saltwater Aquarium

da fish guy

I'm new to salt water tanks with some experience with fresh water. What I wanted to know is why I never see a salt water tank without ugly rocks and sand in them. I mean I understand some fish have certain leaving perimeters that they must have but I mean is it really that necessary. Why can't you just have ornaments with fake vegetation and fake (or real) colorful gravel or even stones like you see in fresh water aquariums. And let's say there are fish with special living accommodations like an eel for example, just provide something tubular or cave like so he can hide their. I mean I know that their are certain fish that do a lot of grazing like a blue hippo tang would do for example, but I mean if you feed it it's pellet or flake food and every now and than some seaweed ruberbanded to a stone it'll be alright.

kemo

I'm new to this so bear with me thanks for all the useful info but a to have a question for you
what could be causing my ph to go low, i have both fish and inverts it does't seem to be affecting any of them but i don't know what the problem is if you could give me some advice it would be great

spanko

What is the reading? When did you take it, like before the lights went out or before they came on?

kemo

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3147936
What is the reading? When did you take it, like before the lights went out or before they came on?
thanks for answering since i'm new at this i test every day and usually when i get home from work so between 4pm and 7pm lights are still on reading 8.0

lionlover2

My lion fish tried to eat my lawnmower which is way too big for him to swallow. More than half of the lawnmower was sticking out, tail wiggling and all. The lion released him after a very long minute and the lawnmower swam away. Today, (5 days later) the lawnmower has a little whitish fuss on top of his head. He seems fine otherwise. What do you recomend I do? Also, My lion has never bothered my cleaner shrimp but that is all I have besides tons of hermits and slugs. I would like to get another fish in this 75 gallon, do I dare? If so, what would be the best pick? When my Lion gets too big for the 75, I will get a bigger tank. Of course I know whatever I get will have to be BIGGER than my Lion. By the way, I named the lawnmower Jonah. Thanks

lionlover2

I forgot to add that I took my Trigger back to the fish store after reading 101 tips ot beginning and maintaining a saltwater aquarium. Now my cleaner shrimp come out and are not hiding all the time. My lion is also noticeably more content. Thank you for all of your advice.

happyfishman

Hi Lion-crazz
Thanks so much for the effort in putting this together.
There is so much information here to use ... even for experienced hobbyist.
A great challenge to the rest of us.
Keep up the good work.
- HappyFishMan

miopie

I am the epitome of newbie I don't even have a tank yet. I have been wanting to start for sometime and well now is the time. I want to start small is a 9 gallon tank too small?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Miopie
http:///forum/post/3168383
I am the epitome of newbie I don't even have a tank yet. I have been wanting to start for sometime and well now is the time. I want to start small is a 9 gallon tank too small?

Smaller tanks (nano tanks) are sometimes harder to maintain for a new hobbyist, IMO. It can be done. My husband and I started with a 14G, upgraded to a 40G, and now we have a 155G. I highly recommend starting with a larger setup if you can afford to do it (30G-55G).
Good luck

miopie

I am still in college and money is randomly an issue. I love damsels and I am not prepared to have a big marine life in my little apartment :). So any comments or suggestion?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3168391
I am still in college and money is randomly an issue. I love damsels and I am not prepared to have a big marine life in my little apartment :). So any comments or suggestion?
Oceanic BioCubes are probably the easiest and most reliable. They come as small as 8G and as large as 29G I believe. My 14G is a BioCube. Great System, everything comes pretty ready to go. You won't have to worry about a huge sump/setup, etc. Very user friendly

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3168406
This sounds perfect. Thank you.

You can also look for used tanks. Where are you located? Some places have more used tanks than other places. I got my 155G for free, just because the guy was tired of dealing with it. You can always try craigslist. Also look into local reef forums for your area, there's always people selling things on those kind of forums.

fishon

I have really enjoyed your post. I have just stared a 55g saltwater tank. I have used red sea salt, Florida crushed coral, and Florida live rock for my tank. I have an eheim canister filter, a power head, and protein skimmer. I am just starting my cycle and I only have hermit crabs. I cant wait to use your guide to help me have a superior tank. Is there any extra tips you may have for me other thank this post? thank you -keith

mjm889

I just wanted to say thanks i been doing this since i was 8 years old will be 33 tomorrow, there is a lot of useful tips in you article, boy the times have change since i got my first salt tank. i just wanted to say thanks for the time and effort you placed into this. - Mike

rosco1

Thanks for all the great info!!! You should really write a salt water aquarium book. I've had my salt water tank a few years and I'm still learning each & everyday. I continue to do what works for me. But I will use many of your suggestions. I would like to ask you about the water flow. I have 2 powerheads based at the top of my 90 gallon. Would it be better for the tank if one was placed in the middle and more towards the bottom?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

albm

very good post but i dont understand why puffers need to not come in cobtact with air ive looked into this alot and found that some people say they can die but ive found more info saying nothing happens and even a few sites saying puffers some time prefer to puff at the surface of your tank. im just wondering were you got this info from so i can know for sure if its true cause when i caught my dog face he puffed out of the water and floated like a bubble i found it funny and all puffers ive sold working at my lfs ive taken right out of the water and many have puffed but no complaints of death and after a customer read this and talked me down i asked my boss whos owned a salt water store for close to 8 years and hes never heard of this being a problem once

robyn

wow, wish I'd read all that before getting started. Also wish you lived closer to help me get my tank back in order!b
good stuff, thanks, will try to check off where I went wrong and correct what I can!

rosco1

Did you ever find out about the changing of salt mix? My tank is 90 gal.FO and I was thinking about changing salt mix due to advice from LFS but If you think it may harm my fish I'll stick to what I have been using.
Thanks Keep up the good work