120 gallon breeder vs. 125 gallon standard

corsojr

I am looking to set up saltwater tank I have a guy at my work that has a 120 gallon breeder tank stand and pumps he is selling for $500 with sand and about 40lbs of liverock. But I was also looking at buying a 125 gallon standard tank. Which one would be the better of the 2 tanks?

S

shrimpy brains

Depends on tank dimensions and what you are wanting to do with it! Are either of them reef ready(drilled with overflows)?
How much is the 125g? Do you want a reef(with corals) or fish only? Do you like large fish? Small fish? etc.

corsojr

The 120 gallon is 48x25x25 I think he told me. And it is reef ready. The 125 gallon is 72x19x23 and it is also reef ready. I plan on making is a fish only tank. I would like to put maybe 3 yellow tang, a pair oF clownfish, 2 or 3 neon gobies, and maybe a few other small fish. I have not put together a full list yet.

2quills

For fish only, if it were me...I would go with the 125 because it has more horizontal swimming room. It would be better for fish like tangs who like to swimm alot. 3 tangs may be pushing it for a tank that size though, especially 3 of the same kind. Just my opinion.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3285653
For fish only, if it were me...I would go with the 125 because it has more horizontal swimming room. It would be better for fish like tangs who like to swimm alot. 3 tangs may be pushing it for a tank that size though, especially 3 of the same kind. Just my opinion.
I agree!

J

jstdv8

I have the 120g myself and I love the depth you have to play with from front to back.
I do want a 6' tank but I'll have my eyes on a 180 when that time comes