120 gallon upgrade, sort of

one-fish

Going to research this I have a Jeabo pump as my return and like it much.Will get back w/you..curious

2quills

If she received a jolt bad GFCI. or loose connections..or both
In a typical ground fault situation the gfci wouldnt trip without a ground probe installed on the system or until a unlucky hobbyist provides that path.

If it didn't trip immediately upon the initial jolt then throw it away.

Otherwise you will want a ground probe installed to provide a instant trip when the fault occurs.

lmforbis

So I should really have a grounding pole in both my sump and my DT correct. Without that the gfci wont perform correctly.?

2quills

Shouldn't need one for it to work properly. But without one you'll still get a jolt for a brief second.

A probe will trip the gfci the instant the problem occurs.

In some cases it can trip it without a probe but it's not likely with most ground fault situations we come accross in the hobby.

one-fish

Good info above Made me get off butt saying I was going to test my leakage voltage months ago Well I have 17.3 stray volts, next time I shut down for a WC will figure out each load as I re energize it. Oh and got a ground probe on bookmark. For the DC volt issue called a friend of mine, my thinking stray DC voltage will not be detected with a AC GFCI ...not sure

2quills

Fundamentally there is no difference between the two other than the direction they can take.

A ground fault situation could be something like a cut or nick in a wire that can cause one of the conductors to make contact with the water. But if there is no alternate path to ground for the current to take then the gfci won't notice any loss of current since there's no where else for it to go.

A short circuit is different. In the event that happens then your breaker at the service panel should trip.

You will always detect induced voltages in the tank. Or essentially the magnetic field of charged particles that radiate from sources like power cords, motors or light bulbs. It's for this reason I don't use a ground probe personally since I feel that running one would give these induced voltages a path to ground and therefor may irritate the livestock.

one-fish

Read that also so some yes some no to grounding probes but that was dated material, those opposed where due to the same reason you mentioned, was going to look into it further. Probe or no probe guess voltage checks are something that need to do monthly.

2quills

Oh it gets deeper trust me lol. I work on high and low voltage systems for my day job and i see many misconceptions out there.

There are different situations where stray current may or may not be an issue but its hard to pack many years of experience with electrical theory into one thread and I don't want to distract from Imforbis's build.

Definitely worth looking into though for one's own peace of mind.

one-fish

Oh I can see.. retired from 37 yrs working in a shipyard I worked mainly with 3 phase 440vac 400a breaking down those voltages to a 440, 220, 110 vac distribution panel to feed many kinds of equipment, tools. Thx 2 and Imforbis... finely did my testing

lmforbis

I'm all about making this safe any input is welcome even if it is the part of physics I hated-electricity and magnetism. For my peace of mind I prefer to understand what is going on, makes it easier for me to fix it.

one-fish

Ditto....the things I have learned being here around 8 months now has been very beneficial to me and my little friends....Good Group...eager to help

lmforbis

My new anemone is starting to show itself.
I bought a couple "easy" SPS at the same time. They are all still alive and all but one have great polyp extension. The bird nest has visible growth.

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG
Three weeks in and no significant diatom bloom. I finally finished plumbing the saltwater mixing carboy directly to the display tank. Makes water changes a breeze, just have to turn a couple valves and the new water goes directly to the DT. Now that that is set up I finally did a 25 gallon water change yesterday.

lmforbis

I bought a couple SPS frags a few weeks ago. These are two of them. The nubby things on the green birdsnest are all new growth.
FullSizeRender(2).jpg
FullSizeRender(1).jpg

2quills

Looks good. I have the same frags lol. My birdsnest has really taken off. My purple stylophora has good polyp extension but it's a slow grower for me for some reason.