150 gallon not drilled question

jussery17

So I'm thinking of getting a 150 gallon Tank now that isn't drilled and I have a 75 gallon tank now with a Tidal 110 HOB filter with 110g matrix bag in it with perigee and chemi pure elite..... would it be possible to just buy another tidal 110 to put on the back of a 150? Or buy a eshopps 1200 overflow hob box to hook up a sump? It can't be drilled and I only want to keep fish and soft corals... thanks in advance

silverado61

Does it say on the tank that it can't be drilled? On most tanks only the bottom can't be drilled which means you can drill the side glass.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A 110 is way too underrated for 150 unless you plan to use the two filters in the 150?

jussery17

Well that's what I said was could i buy another tidal 110 and use two together if I can't drill it? And I'm not sure if it says anything on the tank about drilling it or not, I haven't even.bought it yet but a friend is selling one with a canopy and stand for $200 and can't pass it up...but I don't want to buy it than try to drill it and it mess up on me and ruin the tank....the tidal 110 I have now works like a charm on my 75 gallon....what to do?

silverado61

It should have a tag on the bottom of the tank telling you if it can or can't be drilled. And your right about drilling, you can only screw up once. I drilled my 72g bow front but I practiced on an old 75g using different DIY templates till it looked like Swiss cheese before I finally felt confident enough to do the 72. The key is use a lot of water to keep the glass cool and to go slooow.

Personally, I don't trust HOB overflows. Something about syphoning the water out of your tank during a power outage. That's all I had to read to convince me that I didn't need to do anymore research on that subject. Maybe someone here that has had experience with them can answer that question for you.

That being said, two Tidal 110's would be more than enough for a 150. Maybe look into HOB refugiums. Those would add to your filtration needs also.

Just a thought.

jussery17

I'd really rather get a tank with holes already drilled for a sump or a dump that's already installed but this is just such a good deal I'm very torn between whether to wait or to use another Tidal 110, only bc on my 75 it just works so unbelievably great!

2quills

It should be safe to drill the sides and actually isn't as hard as it sounds.

But my advice would be to not get in too big of a hurry and make purchases based on what's convenient. Especially in this hobby. If you really want a pre drilled tank just save up and wait.

That way you're not kicking yourself for it later on down the road lol.

What type of shape is your friends tank in?

jussery17

It's in very good shape just needs to be wiped down bc it's been sitting for a few months...but looking online, all the big tanks I would like to have are like $2,000-$2,500!! Man I wish I was rich lol! I'd have a custom 240 gallon made with all the bells and whistles

lmforbis

You should be able to get a basic pre drilled marineland tank for ~$500 - 600. You’ll probably need a fish store to special order it. That is how I got my reef ready 120 gal. It was just under $600. It is a high tank so it has thicker glass which makes it more expensive. I had the store order it last March. It was a big upgrade from my used 125. No scratches. Both my old 125 and new 120 have the corner overflows. I’ll never buy a standard tank again.

jay0705

Agreed with above. A drilled tank with plumbing is about double the cost of a standard. It saves alot of trouble tho