150 gallon salt can it be done?

AlexAce

hello guys, I'm swapping my 150 from a fresh to salt. I want fish, corrals, and plants, and just anything else that is salt. Can I put all of this in a tank and make it work??? Fish don't know what yet, some schooling and several others maybe total of 20 fish. And lots of living rock and corrals and things that look cool. Also if I could have or be pointed in the right direction for everything that I am going to need to get to make it work, and maybe a post about what fish are okay together in that size tank and what corals they are needing and what fish can do what for my tank. Thanks a lot guys hope to hear from you soon.

florida joe

Ok I am going to go out on a limb here and I am sure I will get crucified or it BUT here goes. I MO it may be just possible to turn a 150 g fresh water tank into a saltwater tank. But then again what do I know

AlexAce

I shouldn't have a problem switching it to salt just need to know everything everything else about what I'm going to need.

2quills

I've actually seen it. It's rare but it can happen.

You already have the tank. Now you just need salt, a understanding spouse, patience and a loose leash on the pocket book.

If you have those bare necessities than you have the makings of a bright future

AlexAce

Thank you just needing to know a list of items I will be needing to buy and if I can do a bunch of fish and a bunch of corral and live sand and those rocks with things on them that float. I am brand new to salt water.

bang guy

Before investing a lot of money (reference "loose leash on the pocket book) I'd suggest a couple things.

1 - Buy a good saltwater book like The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

2 - Review the picture forum on this site and find something similar to what you are looking for.

I had a 155 gallon reef tank for over 10 years so I'm not unfamiliar with that size system.

AlexAce

Cool. I also have a space 55 gallon tank I was thinking in turning into a dump. Any good ideas on how I could make that work?

florida joe

Ok as many of the longtime members here will tell you I think hobbyists need to do their own research and not be spoon fed information. This is a great site for getting real time info on a great many issues> BUT IMO one needs to research the nuts and bolts of setting up a saltwater tank and all that goes into it. Get a good grasp of this information then come to the site with specific questions. I mean you no disrespect it’s just the way I feel you will become a more successful hobbyist

Occelaris

Yes finding all the info in books is easy but the true experience and knowledge of keeping a marine tank can only come from ppl who have done it or doing it seems the ppl in here aren't that helpfull after all what's the point of being in a forum like this if you can't ask stupid questions

geridoc

Cool. I also have a space 55 gallon tank I was thinking in turning into a dump. Any good ideas on how I could make that work?
I,m in the midst of turning a 110 gallon tank into a sump for my 220 gallon display. I chose to use an inline (rather than a submerged) return pump to minimize heating. So, I drilled a hole in the side of the 110 sump for a bulkhead fitting that would feed the external pump. I have just bought acrylic sheets to cut and silicone-glue intot he sump to create bubble traps and 3 chambers. Next, I'll create a platform for my skimmer so it is the correct height. It looks like the most difficult step was the tank drilling. I used a glass drill from http://glass-holes.com/, where I also got the bulkhead. It took a few minutes, but the results were fine - a nice, clean hole.

florida joe

Occelaris if I may I would like to address your post. You state that finding all the info in books is easy. Then that is what I suggest hobbyists do. By reading you gain varied knowledge not just an answer to one specific question. And I can assure you a book such as “The reef aquarium “ by Delbeck and Sprung was written by people who know what they are talking about. The people in here are most helpful. There are no stupid questions BUT questions asked that show no fundamental knowledge of the hobby IMO indicates that the person asking the question is looking to not devote the time to do their own research and only want a quick answer. Their tank and livestock deserve better than that. My apologies to AlexAce for getting on my soap box

2quills

Aside from the wealth of information out there in books, BRS has a great YouTube channel with over 500 instructional video.

I highly recommend checking out their 52 Weeks of Reefing vids. They cover everything you ever want to know in setting up a 160g reef tank as well as everything that goes into taking care off it.

It's more info than you'll ever get in one thread on the forums.

HTH