180gal reef tank build

Bryson

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 180 gallon reef ready tank that I'll begin setting up soon. I have a hard time visualizing things so I figured id ask you all!

My question is about a backdrop. Any advice on painting the back? What colors do you all think looks best? I thought I'd like a black backdrop but I just put one on my 40 gallon tank and I don't like it as much as I thought.

I want a color that will make my fish and corals pop. Any advice is appreciated!

lmforbis

I like black on the reef ready tanks. The overflows kind of disappear that way. I never liked lighter colors because all the crap on the back shows up. Blue does look nice. I have seen some amazing backs where different colors of blue were painted on the back. Far above my skill level.

Bryson

I like black on the reef ready tanks. The overflows kind of disappear that way. I never liked lighter colors because all the crap on the back shows up. Blue does look nice. I have seen some amazing backs where different colors of blue were painted on the back. Far above my skill level.
Yeah the black overflows would blend in! Any thoughts on painted vs. plastic backdrop?

iidylii

I like both blue and black...mine is painted black and looks just fine...gonna be 100% what you prefer I think painted or plastic is really not going to matter...I guess the thing about painted is it obviously stays in place better and won't move around on you...other then that I don't see a difference :~}

Bryson

I like both blue and black...mine is painted black and looks just fine...gonna be 100% what you prefer I think painted or plastic is really not going to matter...I guess the thing about painted is it obviously stays in place better and won't move around on you...other then that I don't see a difference :~}
I guess my best bet is to put the plastic on first and if I don't like it I can paint it after. (Obviously before I stock it)