2 tangs in a 75 reef?

zanemoseley

Ok could I put a blue tang and a yellow tank in a 75? i'd also have a true perc. clown pair, a wrasse, and maybe 2-3 other small fish, is this ok

jeo

Its definitly pushing it. If you got two small tangs things would probably work out fine for a while, but eventually the tangs would get too big for both of them to be in a 75 together and one will porbably die. My advise is resist the temptation and just get one tang.

wrassecal

I don't know what the 2-3 other small fish are but if you stick to 1 one tang I think the others on your list would be fine. Thing is a 75 is 4 ft long and that doesn't give much room for the tangs once they are grown and sharing the space. HTH

jpribelin

I have had a yellow tang and a blue regal tang in my 75 for a year now and they are doing great. My yellow tang hasn't grown any since i got him though, but he is pretty large in the first place. I got my blue regal tang as a baby and he is just now starting to show some growth (LFS told me they grow slowly)

mistylab

Just wondering, but what are you going to do with them when the yellow is pushing half a foot and the blue tang pushing a whole foot. Salt water fish, unlike others, are not stunted by the size of their tank. A yellow tang would be fine in there, as long as there are not many other fish in there, but a blue? They are beautiful, and I was unbelievably tempted to add one to my tank, but then I thought how cruel it would be, and how I claim to love my animals, but what would that show? It would just show greediness and selfishness(I wasn't going to upgrade then, but my tank is already well-stocked so no tang for me)

john reed

I would probably agree with JEO. However I have a 100 gallon with a Sailfin Tang about 6 inches long he has been in the tank for about 4 years I also have a yellow tang about 5 inches long he has been in the tank for about 3 years. Within the last year I added a Naso Tang then I added a Niger Triger then I added a Passer Angel. They all seem to be doing fine. But I am also planning to move or some of them to a 300 gallon.

krowleey

Just wondering, but what are you going to do with them when the yellow is pushing half a foot and the blue tang pushing a whole foot.

now i would like to see someone with those sizes of tangs in thier tanks.

zanemoseley

anyone else? I don't wanna make the fish unhappy but it seems many of you over exagerate things such as a number of fish in a tank since many people come on and say they have a large number of big fish in a medium tank.

zanemoseley

try and keep the discussion civilized jacka$$ and stop attacking me, I'm just saying some people over exagerate stocking tanks and if I listened to everyone I'd end up with one blenny in a 75, maybe you should be attacking LFS's that keep tangs in 5 gallon bare tanks for months before selling them

zanemoseley

well let me see you've got 8 posts, 3 of which state tangs belong in the ocean not in "glass boxes", I think this forum may be the wrong choice for you, maybe you'd prefer the PETA forum

wrassecal

You are risking this thread being closed if you don't avoid attacking and bad language. Zane you asked a legit question and you are getting some legit answers. Ignore the rest. I really believe that when we buy fish we need to think in terms of their full grown size, personality, habits, bio-load etc. Our tanks, filtering systems and everything else has to do with how happy they are. Your question about the 75 was a size question and in my opinion one tang will thrive in a 75 if it is one of the smaller tangs. I don't think something like a naso would thrive. Tangs are also territorial. You could get one show piece tang of the zebramosas (did I write that right?) and then add several other community fish of smaller size.

zanemoseley

I wasn't calling you on your low post count, I was just observing that 3 of 8 of your post say tangs belong in the ocean not in glass boxes, thats not what people on an aquarium site wanna hear, and I wouldn't call it a glass box I'd call it a reef replication :) but yes lets stop the bickering

dburr

How big do yellow tangs get anyway?
I have one thats only 5". It's about 9 years old!!!
My britsle tooth also wont get to big, they are about the same size.
All in a 90 gallon. IMO, pick the yellow and if you want another get a smaller one than the blue.

mistylab

mawv, I agree that tangs belong in the ocean, but all of the others do too, we keep them for our selfish purposes, It isn't much better for the rest of our fish either.
But really, tangs do love to swim, their passion is to roam free and keep going on and on forever more, but they can't do this in our aquariums.
Like was said in Finding Nemo, "fish weren't meant to be in a box kid, it does things to ya."(In the background the yellow tang is yelling, "bubbles, bubbles, My bubbles!")

krunk

mawv1 - i have a 30 gallon, with 4 yellow tangs, i think they are happy. i think they will live for ever since they all lived for a month.

fishtails

Krunk, LOL.... Very funny....
Zane, unless they're really small or you plan on upgrading to a larger tank anytime soon I would not do it. IF they happen to be small make sure you water quality is goodand tank is filtered well.
Please stop the hatred, we already have enough in the world today.:(

quillfighter

Zane, I think that fact that you even asked shows you have concern, and I agree with you that there are some PETA lurkers hanging around just jumping on people =P
I think you should go ahead and get a yellow and a blue, just get a small one 2-3 inches and know that at some point you may either have to give it a new home yourself(upgrade) or find it another home with someone you trust that has room for it.
I'm in a similiar situation with one of my favorite fish, I have him right now and were both happy about that I think =P but eventually I either have to get a bigger tank or find him a more suitable home, but I have a couple years to worry about it.
Dont let anyone on the board make you feel guilty for the fish you keep or for asking questions, they have aquariums too

dburr

Quillfirhter, have you ever tried to catch a tang or any other fish in a tank full of rocks?
IMO, buy a fish that you want to keep for a very long time. (forever).
It will prevent stress to the fish if you are trying to catch them at a later time to trade. It doesn't really make any sense if you think about it.
Stress leads to ick, not the one you are trying to catch, but all of them.
We all make a mistake once and awhile but to buy a fish knowing we will have to remove it.......:(