27 dead at Connecticut Elementary School

bionicarm

Just watching this story on ABC. Some 24-year old maniac takes four weapons into an Elementary school and kills at least 27 people, including children. Cloumbine at a younger scale. I'm sure we'll hear from the gun advocates that there's nothing that could be done to keep this from happening. So you tell me - What's the answer? At what point do we have to make a decision over gun rights, and the rights of innocent citizens? Does the future force every single school in this country having to spend billions of dollars to put their institutions in "lock-down mode"? Spend insurmountable amounts of money to hire independent armed security guards? Metal detectors? Lock the schools down like prisons? Sorry. Hiding behind the 2nd Amendment to justify gun ownership when innocent children are needlessly killed is beyond reproach.

darthtang aw

Just watching this story on ABC.  Some 24-year old maniac takes four weapons into an Elementary school and kills at least 27 people, including children.  Cloumbine at a younger scale.  I'm sure we'll hear from the gun advocates that there's nothing that could be done to keep this from happening.  So you tell me - What's the answer?  At what point do we have to make a decision over gun rights, and the rights of innocent citizens?  Does the future force every single school in this country having to spend billions of dollars to put their institutions in "lock-down mode"?  Spend insurmountable amounts of money to hire independent armed security guards?  Metal detectors?  Lock the schools down like prisons?  Sorry. Hiding behind the 2nd Amendment to justify gun ownership when innocent children are needlessly killed is beyond reproach.
What would you ban or do to prevent this from happening? I have been following this story closely myself. Remember, Connecticutt has some of the tightest weapon restrictions in the country.

From what I have been reading, there was at least one assault rifle involved. Is there ANY reason that all, and I mean ALL assault rifles have not been banned? Trying to defend this is pointless, but let's see it...

reefraff

You gotta be a special kind of twisted to do something like this. Would it make you feel better if he had firebombed the classroom instead? We have a whack job problem in this country.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school#post_3504133
From what I have been reading, there was at least one assault rifle involved. Is there ANY reason that all, and I mean ALL assault rifles have not been banned? Trying to defend this is pointless, but let's see it...
OK, lets ban private ownership of cars and back yard swimming pools and spas first seeing as how more people are killed by them every year than guns.

That's an asanine argument and you know it. Assault rifle serve one SOLE PURPOSE, which is to KILL. Let me repeat that for all you thick headed dummies who want to make the "well if we ban assault rifles we might as well ban... blah blah blah, because they kill too". The SOLE PURPOSE of an assault rifle is to KILL. MURDER. DEATH. END OF LIFE. Whatever words you would like to use.
Anyone who tries to defend the right to walk into a gun store and buy one of these, I really have a hard time breathing the same air as you. It's sick. Period.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school#post_3504137
That's an asanine argument and you know it. Assault rifle serve one SOLE PURPOSE, which is to KILL. Let me repeat that for all you thick headed dummies who want to make the "well if we ban assault rifles we might as well ban... blah blah blah, because they kill too". The SOLE PURPOSE of an assault rifle is to KILL. MURDER. DEATH. END OF LIFE. Whatever words you would like to use.
Anyone who tries to defend the right to walk into a gun store and buy one of these, I really have a hard time breathing the same air as you. It's sick. Period.
Who needs a cup cake? Sugary snacks kill how many people? Do you need a car that can go 140 miles an hour?
What happens when they ban Semi Autos (You can't walk in off the street and buy an assault weapon, educate yourself) and the shooters switch over to lever actions? How many people died in Oklahoma city without a shot being fired? We need to deal with why people want to do this stuff.

While I completely agree that you need to work on the "why" people do things, your other argument is still pointless. And as far as I know, my crazy uncle has a whole basement full of legally purchased (of what I can only assume) assault rifles, and a whole mess of other guns. You want a .22 or a 9mm fine, I can get behind that. An assault rifle in needed by no one except a soldier.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school#post_3504139
While I completely agree that you need to work on the "why" people do things, your other argument is still pointless. And as far as I know, my crazy uncle has a whole basement full of legally purchased (of what I can only assume) assault rifles, and a whole mess of other guns. You want a .22 or a 9mm fine, I can get behind that. An assault rifle in needed by no one except a soldier.
You don't think you can kill with a 9mm or 22? 9mm was the round of choice for police for years. These so called "assault weapons" are look alikes that yes, shoot a 223 round but are not fully automatic. You pull the trigger it fires one round.
What really gets me is so far they have only talked about handguns. Dunno if there was even the weapons in question used yet.

darthtang aw

From what I have been reading, there was at least one assault rifle involved.  Is there ANY reason that all, and I mean ALL assault rifles have not been banned?  Trying to defend this is pointless, but let's see it...

linkmeto the assault rifle. From everything i have read and listened to (been on my news watch and listen since 9 a.m.) there were two handguns One Glock and the other a Sig Sauer.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school#post_3504142
linkmeto the assault rifle. From everything i have read and listened to (been on my news watch and listen since 9 a.m.) there were two handguns One Glock and the other a Sig Sauer.
Someone said there was a 223 involved which would most likely be a AR. The spokesman for the cops said he didn't know what the weapon was. Also heard the guns he used were registered to his mother. Screwed up whatever he used.

darthtang aw

Now they are saying this guy's dad is dead in Jersey and is girlfriend is MIA.
Yep, his dad and mom recently divorced. The info coming out is fragmented and some is contradictory. The ATF says only two hand guns were found at the scene. Ananonymous police source states four, one being an assault rifle. Which is banned in the state of Connecticut.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school#post_3504145
Yep, his dad and mom recently divorced. The info coming out is fragmented and some is contradictory. The ATF says only two hand guns were found at the scene. Ananonymous police source states four, one being an assault rifle. Which is banned in the state of Connecticut.
Fox just said there was an M4 which is the new generation AR platform and a 10mm Glock.

dragonzim

Just about all the articles are now updated saying that he used a .223 caliber rifle
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ct-school-shooter-made-combat-weapon-article-1.1220431
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/14/school-shooting-connecticut/1769367/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

darthtang aw

Fox just said there was an M4 which is the new generation AR platform and a 10mm Glock.
Yep, I own one. Curious how a Connecticut resident acquired one since they are banned there.

darthtang aw

Havent seen anything stating where the shooter, Adam Lanza, lives, but his older brother lives in NJ.  Not sure of the legality of that weapon there.
Banned in NJ as well. NJ has the second toughest gun laws in the Union only behind California.

reefraff

The cops just again refused to identify what guns were used.
I guess it's time to order up another before the fools ban them again.