34 Gallon Solana build

patrick8929

suggestions on a cover for my tank? i broke the glass top and want to replace it with something just not sure what.

patrick8929

Do you know if these are resizable. I think I see what you are talking about but the sizes start at 2ft and my tank is 20-20"

jay0705

Beasle bob is the king of macro iam the king of live rock lol there is just too many benefits of it not to have it.

patrick8929

seem about right for 12 days in? I also did a huge water change after bang suggested it when my ammonia was very high.

bang guy

looking good!

Just remember that a freshly cycled tank isn't a stable tank. Delicate animals are iffy until it matures a bit.

patrick8929

Got it! I plan on putting the inverts in first. I wont have a whole lot of rock so maybe 5 snails and 5 hermits and a cleaner shrimp i probably all im going to put in. Is it too soon to put chaeto in the middle chamber in the back?

So here is the new light! i love the way it looks and to my surprise it isnt raising the temp at all! Tank is staying at 78 24/7. Also do you think this is still alive? And even if it is do i want it?

Attachments

patrick8929

thank you! 150w 15k bulb in the pendant. i also have 2 LED actinic strips going as well. i hope that is enough for just about anything i want to put in this tank.

patrick8929

thank you! 150w 15k bulb in the pendant. i also have 2 LED actinic strips going as well. i hope that is enough for just about anything i want to put in this tank.

bang guy

Is it too soon to put chaeto in the middle chamber in the back?
Yes it is too soon. A lot of Macro Algae at this point will consume the Ammonia and make it difficult for your bacteria colonies to prosper. This has started to become a common mistake new hobbyists make. They add a bunch of Caulerpa at the start of the cycle and start adding livestock when they notice their ammonia is zero. Then they have a tank crash and don't know why.

What happens is the algae consumed the ammonia and the bacteria colonies develop very poorly as the algae outcompetes them for food. Then something happens to the algae and there are not enough bacteria in the system to make up for it and a cascading crash occurs.

After the tank is cycled and have been ghost feeding for a while is the perfect time.

Also do you think this is still alive? And even if it is do i want it?
I can't tell from the picture if it's some type of branching Coralline or some type of Gorgonian. I believe it's still alive and I'm leaning toward it being a Gorgonian.

patrick8929

okay great info bang. i feel like i have forgotten everything i once new. i think what we know has also changed some in the last decade. if it is a gorgonian im cool with that. im reading though that they arent real light needy, will my MH be harmful to it sitting a little higher than half way up my tank?

patrick8929

It is a little hard to tell but i think my ammonia is at 0. idk if anyone else uses the red sea test kit but it looks like even at 0 the water turns green. do i want it to not see any color because the green i see is as close to 0 as i can tell.