Tigers and two spots

iidylii

ok well over the past year now I have tried maybe 4 two spot gobys and 4 tiger gobys one at a time and two at a time with no luck...

The two spot gobys I am pretty sure we're always so young and small and had a hard time sifting my sand...it's like a med size sand...plus they are ranked as one of the harder species of fish to keep in captivity

The Tigers...I had a bonded pair from divers den jump out of the tank, and now the last 2 I have tried seem to have died for reasons I have no idea...they were both sifting away and made burrows to sleep in and even ate a little frozen but eventually died in a few days to a week

The last guy really is a mystery he was getting along great and looking pretty comfortable not to mention I didn't see my long spine urchin carrying him around, I call him the grim reaper lol...so there is a slight chance that he had made it down into my sump which I have not torn apart yet to look...live aquaria offered to send another one to me but I told them nope I think I have killed enough of these guys :(...

So anyways yeah I'm done trying with these two types of fish which is sad because they are two of my favs but there's a time when u have to say that's enough being selfish and having them die everytime...

So anyone else giving them a try just do your research first I guess

lmforbis

It can be hard to keep sand shifters alive. They can deplete the food in the sand bed pretty fast then they starve, even those that eat prepared foods. My diamond goby lasted about a year before he just disappeared, he ate prepared food but still seemed to get skinny over time.

iidylii

Yeah I agree...I guess it's just weird though if I pick up a handful of sand there's critters running everywhere in it...but who knows I guess...my brother had a healthy sifter for a couple years and one day it just died

I know you have cautioned me about engineer gobys...but are they the same thing as a sifter more or less...? Meaning are they a tough fish to keep alive because of food source? I don't mind then digging and what not because my rocks are all secured together so I was just wondering about the similarity in food type?

Same question for a watchman?

jay0705

I've (had) have 2 golden sleepers. Both readily eat anything not nailed down. Even seaweed as the tangs rip it up. After feeding i can see a noticeable bulge in its belly so its definitely getting it in.

iidylii

I've (had) have 2 golden sleepers. Both readily eat anything not nailed down. Even seaweed as the tangs rip it up. After feeding i can see a noticeable bulge in its belly so its definitely getting it in.
That's the same type my brother had and it to ate absolutely anything but suddenly died after 2 years...no saying it was certainly starvation but yeah it just died one day

jay0705

With sw its tough. Alot of fish we get are adults. So who knows how old they are at that point. My newest is small like 3" so we shall see

iidylii

With sw its tough. Alot of fish we get are adults. So who knows how old they are at that point. My newest is small like 3" so we shall see
Very true never know how old they may already be...in the case of ALL my 2 spots and tigers though, they weren't much older then juveniles lol

jay0705

That i agree with. The twin spots are notorious for being difficult. Its weird bc mandarins are supp to be difficult too. Generally its due to food. Yet i know folks who have them eating frozen and after a yr or 2 they die. Maybe improper nutrition or are they just older fish to start with. What does a baby mandy look like? Hmm

lmforbis

I don't think most mandarins can survive on frozen alone. They need to eat constantly. If there aren't enough pods to keep them going eating frozen isn't enough just prolongs the inevitable.

jay0705

Very well could be. I know when i clean my filters (hob) those cartridges are loaded with the criiters lol

iidylii

So I know I said that was the last time for tigers but a pair popped up on divers den so I feel I have to give it one more shot...they look amazing though so far :D

Shilpan

If you need a strategy to get them feeding well, I used to hide garlic soaked good under the sand for my sleeper goby to eat, then moved to squirting food into his den and then finally after 3 weeks of turmoil he eats anything now. Doesn't event leave nori for my rabbitfish...

one-fish

Got me second guessing my next fish a red banded goby I realize feeding/eating maybe be a problem at first but have heard of success and longevity. But at the same time hear of pinch belly and malnutrition causing premature death...Knowing this hopefully I can watch and overcome such happenings..

lmforbis

I'd look very carefully at the fish when it comes in. If it looks like it hasn't been eating pass on it.

iidylii

If you need a strategy to get them feeding well, I used to hide garlic soaked good under the sand for my sleeper goby to eat, then moved to squirting food into his den and then finally after 3 weeks of turmoil he eats anything now. Doesn't event leave nori for my rabbitfish...
thanks...and yeah they nibbled a couple pieces of food today ill have to see again when I feed them this evening...im not real worried though they seem super healthy but u never know...

Got me second guessing my next fish a red banded goby I realize feeding/eating maybe be a problem at first but have heard of success and longevity. But at the same time hear of pinch belly and malnutrition causing premature death...Knowing this hopefully I can watch and overcome such happenings..
yeah if your buying it from a LFS I would certainly check out its belly and make sure its nice and fat and also have them feed the fish to make sure that it has no issues eating