New SW Aquarium Tank Setup

willsk

Hey guys,

I have a 45 gallon aquarium that I want to turn into a SW aquarium. I want to do a fish only aquarium. Keeping it simple, but something cool for my son. When it comes to filtering a 45 gallon, fish only, SW aquarium, what do you recommend for filtering? I see so many different ways to go about it. Also, is a protein skimmer needed? I have no issue using one, just curious what is actually required vs what is nice to have.

Thanks everyone.

jay0705

Agreed. Water movement is needed. Also live rock. It makes keeping sw soooo much easier.

lmforbis

Crap I wrote that wrong don't know where my head was. Must have been the 3 hour team building exercise we had to do at work today. I meant hang on the bAck filter. You shouldn't need a skimmer not that it will hurt to have.

willsk

ok, thanks guys. Something like this will be sufficient? 75 gallon enough? Or should I go with the 100 gallon?

I also planned on powerheads for water flow.

beaslbob

I recommend you start the tank with macro algae right from the start. You could use a partition to separate the fish from the macros.

my .02

one-fish

I have a Fish invert tank I would not do it again w/out a sump. It makes all to much sense, heaters skimmers pumps all can be installed there and not the DT I would at least entertain the idea.. but thats just my .02...and I like the Current Orbit LED also