Test Kit in Hawaii

Dan808z

I can't get the API Saltwater Master Test Kit to ship to Hawaii either through Amazon or *****. Anyone have any suggestions on a kit that will ship or what I should be looking for? Just starting a FOWLER tank, only added salt and live rock so far an going to wait for it to cycle. Thanks!

Dan808z

Thanks, what types would I need for a FOWLR? I was looking for an all-in-one but BRS looks like they sell individually

lmforbis

Not sure how many all in ones there are. I bought one a few years ago but in the end I only used a few of the tests.
Initially ammonia and nitrate, and nitrite. Later calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.
Phosphate and pH.
I only test 4 things regularly in my tank, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and nitrate. Because your tank is new you need the ammonia nitrite and nitrate to monitor the cycle.

one-fish

Maybe I have a work around if you can purchase an API freshwater test kit in Hawaii use that Its the kit I used to cycle my tank. Google the difference between the two....my .02 otherwise the individual tests are the way to go

Dan808z

Not sure how many all in ones there are. I bought one a few years ago but in the end I only used a few of the tests.
Initially ammonia and nitrate, and nitrite. Later calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.
Phosphate and pH.
I only test 4 things regularly in my tank, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and nitrate. Because your tank is new you need the ammonia nitrite and nitrate to monitor the cycle.
Do I need all of these other than ammonia and nitrate, and nitrite just with a FOWLR?

one-fish

When I cycled my Fowlr tank /Amm nitrite nitrate Ph Temp Salinity is want I tested for...down the road Phosphates due to GHA

Dan808z

Finally found one that shipped....thanks for all the timely help! Now I have a question, I have been running pumps and have that live rock that has been soaking in fresh hose water in a cooler for 2 weeks with total water changes every other day. some old seaweed etc. if gradually coming off now in tank with saltwater and pumps running.I read I should do this for about a month?

My plan after a month was then to add the substrate and the test water parameters. I have no idea how to cycle tank other than reading ammonia will spike then hit zero and that should indicate cycle is in process. I was wondering if anyone had a step by step suggestion on what I should do once I let my live rock run under pumps in saltwater for a month aside from some regular water changes? I have my FX-6 running just with the mechanical media, would anyone add the bio media (biomax) now just to get the bacteria going? I have some purigen as well but should that wait till tank cycles?

Thanks!

Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE21525 Marine Care Test Kit for Aquarium

jay0705

Timing for a cycle is never the same. Too many varying factors. Snakes article is an excellent read