new anemone today

iidylii

so my brothers rose bubble anemone split about a year ago and I am getting it from him today...I believe my clown would like one and plus that might keep my dumbass flame angel away from him lol

anyways...im about to start drip acclimating...im just using a 5 gallon tank with a heater, bubbler and bare bottom with nothing else in tank...gonna drip for a couple few hours and then put it into the display tank....ive never acclimated a anemone before so please let me know if there is anything I am missing? thanks as always

florida joe

Ok I am sure you know this but I will post it anyway. They need strong light. You want to keep the temp steady as you acclimate for at least one hour. They do not tolerate rapid water chemistry changes. Make sure your powerheads are off when you introduce it into you DST. ; make sure its foot is attached to something before you turn them back on. Remember if it does not like the lighting or flow it will move and possibly get sucked into your power head which is a major no no for the tank so keep a close eye on it the first few days

iidylii

well I guess idk if I have proper lighting..i have a kessil 150...which I thought was adequate...my brothers tank as I said has 2 anemones from a split...hes had the one in the tank for 2 years and it is easily a basketball size the other one that split is about a softball size and they do amazing...this is the lighting he has and like I said they do really well...I know these are cheapies but they work I guess

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Reef-Coral-Marine-/370858771177?hash=item5658e7c2e9:g:zJ8AAOSwUKxYhy13

now I tried all day to get the small anemone out of his tank and have not had luck...its foot is tucked way inside a piece of rock...I looked up mr saltwater on you tube and he said of course to try the power head theory...that didn't seem to work although I only tried that for like 30 mins...next he said take the piece of rock out of the tank and hang it over some saltwater and eventually it will let go...he said try this for maybe 30 mins which I did and it did not let go...so I will continue to work on this...I would like to just put the piece of live rock into my tank but I don't want to cross contaminate anything...I guess an idea might be to just put his piece of LR into a QT tank and wait for him to let loose from being annoyed

so any other ideas or advice from this post would be helpful thanks again everyone

jay0705

Why not just put it and the lr in your tank? I would think a kessil should be fine. Unless a 150 is low out put. The cheap box lights you spoke do work well. Its just there durability that gets questioned

iidylii

i just hate cross contaminating tanks jay that's why I didn't want to add it to my tank?

but I guess whats the difference im putting the nem in the tank so if theres something bad I would assume the nem would be just as bad to add lol just a thought

iidylii

no he has no issues im just always cautious of it because ive had past problems...but your right I just asked him and he said sure do it up lol...so I believe I will be doing that tmrw...

one-fish

On a good note, if you have to put him in w/LR then you can place him where you want and hope he keeps holding on..seems well planted now..Lol

iidylii

On a good note, if you have to put him in w/LR then you can place him where you want and hope he keeps holding on..seems well planted now..Lol
true but I don't actually want him to keep holding on...id like to give my brother his chunk of rock back...its like a 7-10 pounder lol doesn't fit well in my tank for permanent fixture lol

2quills

The power head trick seems logical. May need to run it longer though. Perhaps over night. Eventually it will get annoid and move.

iidylii

Hope the PH works that is a "chunk" of rock ...Good Luck..
PH should be fine...I have a 180 gallon system ;) good lookin out though :D...nice to have the space to have a sump as big as your display...my display is in my living room "93 gallon cube" and drilled through the floor down into my basement where I have a 125 gallon sump...and actually I should post a video/pics of the whole system because im not sure I ever have showed it in detail...im to afraid its to ugly in most peoples eyes...and not sure I could handle the criticisms lol

2quills

And their main function is to hide the stuff we don't want to see in the tank.

Some of the nicest tanks have some of the ugliest sumps lol.

lmforbis

you think that kessil will be enough forbis?
I kind of doubt it. I have a BTA but I have two of the larger Kessils and two of the smaller ones.
It might do ok if it plants itself at the top of your rock work directly under the light. You might consider getting a second one.

iidylii

cool...thanks again for the help everyone...I will maybe start a new thread tmrw with a vid and pics...and I will look into another light if the nem doesn't seem to pick to sit up top of the rocks...to me that seems obvious for a spot for them to choose although of course if food flow in that area doesn't serve them well I can understand

lmforbis

I got a green BTA a couple weeks ago and it promptly moved under a rock. Yesterday is the first time I saw it peeking out.