Nano tank setup

Stan25

just setting up a 100lt nano tank but using 10kg rock and 30% water from an established tank , using a aqua one canister filter and Kent nano skimmer, buy using rock / water from old tank would this reduce the setup time ,
I know there would be a certain amount of time before the canister filter starts working and the bacteria becomes effective,

Just curious, but will test before adding anything .

Stan25

You might rethink the canister. Not the best choice for saltwater
Any ideas ? I'm running a large 400lt tank with a150 lt sump as my main tank but not sure what I would replace the canister with in the nano tank I've just setup , room etc to fit a sum and also don't ranch drilling the tank , any suggestions greatfully received.

lmforbis

Just a hang on the back filter. If you have good flow, live rock, and a skimmer you could do fine with nothing else as long as you keep up with water changes. Easier with a small tank.

Stan25

That would work. I'd go with the bigger one
Hi and thanks for your reply, the tank was original from my father who past away a few weeks back , the tank actually has an internal filter which I will share a picture, the filter takes internal water and takes it through bioballs that I took from my established tank, and then through a nitrate reducing stone and then a carbon pad and fine wool for lovely clear water , do you think I would get away with just thus if I removed the canister filter ?? I was also going to put in a Koralia nano circulation pump in ,

Attachments

Stan25

Also tested the parameters yesterday as the tank is now 3 weeks old , nitrate 5.0 ppm / nitrite 0.25ppm / PH 8.4 & Ammonia 0.25 .

Stan25

Definitely cycling for you. Thats a plus
Thanks Jay, still going to leave it a couple of more weeks and them maybe introduce a small clean up crew. What your view to the filter ? In your view would you ditch the canister and just run the inter small filter ?

lmforbis

A lot of people use the tanks with the internal filters. I never have. it kind of functions like a sump. Definitely get rid of the canister.

Stan25

Thanks gents , I'm going to invest in a HOB filter instead as it will make the tank more open as well , thanks for all your advice , much appreciated