What's next after cycle is done?

jussery17

So my tank is about done cycling and the levels are about at 0...I've read a lot of different things that need to be done but can someone that has done a few of these please give me a step by step what to do next and what I'm looking for as far any blooms and adding livestock? I want to be very careful and take my time..thanks

geridoc

Taking your time is a good plan. Do you have a quarantine tank? If not, then the first thing you should look for after adding livestock is a disease outbreak. A quarantine is not expensive, and it will save you lots of money and aggravation. You should now make a general plan of what livestock you would like to have after all are added, and then choose the least aggressive as your first addition. Save the most aggressive for the last to be added. As far as outbreaks, you may see an outbreak of diatoms, algae, red algae or even glass anemones. All part of a tank settling down-just post when it happens and we'll tell you if it is normal (usually) or not. Good luck!

Jesterrace

So my tank is about done cycling and the levels are about at 0...I've read a lot of different things that need to be done but can someone that has done a few of these please give me a step by step what to do next and what I'm looking for as far any blooms and adding livestock? I want to be very careful and take my time..thanks
How long has your tank been cycling? One of the biggest newbie mistakes is that people assume that the cycle is done once everything 0s out. This only part of the cycle. It is not done completely cycling until the Brown Algae Bloom has come and gone (believe me, you will know when it happens). At this point you should start running your lights for 6-8 hours a day and above all DO NOT DO ANY WATER CHANGES until after the brown algae bloom has gone. This can restart the whole cycling process. You can add hermit crabs and snails when the algae bloom comes in as long as everything is still 0.

iidylii

Yes I would get a QT setup...10-20 gallon tank...bubbler and air stone...heater and that's about all u need...got all my stuff for pretty much $20-$30...

I also made a list of fish when I first started from least to most aggression and added them in that order...makes a big difference on how your fish will get along together

jussery17

Thanks for all the info but the cycle is complete I brought the nitrates down and successfully added 2 clowns! All is well!

Jesterrace

That sucks...mine Cycled for a about a month...ducked but worth the wait
Yeah, that's why I always clarify with folks that just because everything shows 0, doesn't mean that the cycle is done until the brown algae bloom comes and goes. My tank was all 0s during weeks 2-3.

jussery17

Got a new live rock on the far right and just moved all my rock around to this...also just painted the cabinet dark black and two shells white on the front....got two turbo snails yesterday and they are loving the tank...trying to decide now what fish to go with next week

Attachments