Possible build....need thoughts and ideas

uscmizzy

So a buddy of mine just gave me a 55 Gallon aquarium for free. It isn't drilled but I have strongly considered doing a sump with it. I have read a couple things about overflow boxes and see this as a possible, what does everybody think? I'm scared to drill the tank to be honest. So with it or would do this:

55 Gallon tank
Trigger Systems 24 inch Sapphire sump
Marine depot 300 over flow box

I'm not sure on protein skimmer any thoughts?

Also do I have to do a refugium? I was thinking of maybe doing a reactor if possible??

So any ideas thoughts advice I would greatly appreciate! Hope everybody is doing good! Been a whole since I have posted:)

Jesterrace

For your size of a tank, it's kind of right on the edge with whether or not a sump would be practical or worth it. A lot of it depends on how much space you have. Regardless of if you decide to go for a sump, I would definitely look at a hang on back protein skimmer as it will provide you with the easiest and most cost effective solution for skimming. Eshoppes and Reef Octopus make some good HOB skimmers for your size of a tank. As for the refugium it all depends on what you want to do. If you want the likes of a Mandarin Fish then you will want one to breed copepods, if you want to do macro algae, etc. then you will want one as well. There are plenty of reasons to do one of some form or another, but once again that all depends on what you want to put in your tank.