sick puffer? Ich?

Purdy0753

Hey everyone I just noticed some small white spots appearing on my porcupine puffers back! He seems to be eating and acting the same as always and none of the other fish appear to have anything going on with them please if anybody has any thought i would appreciate it!

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That's not ich. Are those patches of white skin or is there actually something growing with texture in those areas? How long have you had the puffer and what are all your water readings? What and how often do you feed?

Purdy0753

There isn't any texture on the spots! They are just white spots of skin. I just had never seen ich before! I have had him for a little over a month. He eats twice a day mostly shrimp with fish v nutrient, also some krill and clams. Water readings are all normal except a slightly high nitrate at around 50 ppm. Been doing daily water changes to correct that started Monday. He seems healthy to me. He kinda hides all day except feeding time the come out some late at night which is pretty normal for them correct?

Last edited:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So basically the skin surface is fading, correct? Is that the only spot? How big is your tank and how many other fish do you have? Are you using live rock and live sand? Why the high nitrites? Are you using a canister filter?

Be sure to add hard shelled seafood for this puffer. They must have hard shells to keep their teeth filed down otherwise the teeth continue to grow out making it impossible for the fish to eat.

Purdy0753

Yes that appears to be the only spot. It is a 115 gallon tank. His tankmates are a Picasso trigger, clown, yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 6 line wrasse, and a small snowflake eel. It is a live rock tank with live sand and fan worms. The tank has a hand on overflow with sump and protein skimmer. The protein skimmer is a small crappy hang on one that i received with the tank and am saving up to upgrade. My guess for high nitrates is possible over feeding and lack of a good clean up crew? Not positive as I am very new to the hobby I have only had the tank around 3 months so any advice/opinions is greatly appreciated!

Purdy0753

And the clams are on a half shell the fish store that I bought them from said they would work as the puffer scrapes the meat out. Does that sound correct? Or what else should I feed him possibly from a grocery store? I don't live in a city with any saltwater pet store so I have to order everything online or take a trip to pick up all my supplies.

Last edited:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you see the puffer doing that with the shell, yes it will work. You can also try fresh shrimp with the shells on.

Your flow does not seem adequate. You have no powerhead in that tank?? White erosion or fading on fish usually means poor environmental conditions. He may be developing a condition called Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). I'll leave links to info and pictures below.

Does your filter have any kind of media in it?

Best to upgrade your protein skimmer when you can and add water circulation that is throughout the tank, every area of the tank needs to have water movement. You can accomplish that using powerheads.

Add selcon or zoecon to the food you are feeding your fish. As for feeding, if food ends up on the floor of your tank or on your rocks uneaten, then you are feeding too much. You have aggressive fish and they do need adequate food to keep them healthy.

What is your source water? Best to use RODI water that you have tested for nitrates to ensure that the source water does not have nitrates.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/head-and-lateral-line-erosion.105

Diseased Fish (Pictures)

Purdy0753

Sorry yes the tank does have 4 power heads from the main pump and one small extra one. They are pointed in every direction possible so I believe the water flow is ok! And I'm not sure what you mean by media in the filter? The fish don't really let food hit the bottom but the puffer is super messy and leaves little shreds of shrimp around! I just use tap water to fill the tank I have not tested the source water just the tank! I will do that tonight. Thank you for all your help!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Test the water and lets see the results for nitrates. Frequently that is the problem when using tab.