The horror

florida joe

Well as we all know hurricane Irma came up the west coast. Its eye passed over Naples Fl My home. I lost power for 7 days just came on today. My gas generator ran out of gas after the first day. No gas to be had for two days. By that time all was lost. All my fish and then the death of all my corals. Countless snails and crabs I am sure my entire population of pods also. I AM DEVASTATED. I don't think i have it in me to start over

Last edited:

silverado61

By the time "Shoulda, coulda, woulda, comes to mind, it's too late. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the feeling of watching helplessly as your tank slowly passes.

Don't give up though. So many hobbyists have given up after devastation. Don't count yourself among them. Start a rebuild, post it and I for one will follow along to witness the progress. I think I can speak for all of us when I say, "Keep going and never surrender".

2quills

Sorry to hear that Joe. At least your house is still standing I hope?

We'd lost power for 6 days here as well from Harvey. Fish made it through the first 3 days until I got a generator. Then my tank decided to spring a leak from the bottom seam. Most of my corals and inverts are gone now.

geridoc

Sorry to hear that. I had the same kind of disaster after Sandy - had a generator but couldn't get enough gas to keep it going full time. I lost everything, including a 19 year old emperor angelfish and a burbonius anthias, not to mention all of my corals and inverts. I'm still rebuilding, but better. So hang in there and start again one small step at a time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm so sorry for you Joe. And I am happy I am out of the Keys now just for this reason. The lack of gas in most of FLA was one damn mess for all, but particularly those that had to deal with direct impacts. My son evacuated from Key West. The storm hit there Cat 4 on Sunday. According to reports the Keys are hardly recognizable anymore. He'll be going back down under martial law conditions shortly.

From exp. you have to fill up several 5 gal gas cans in advance of the storm, and fill up as many vehicles you have (keeping syphoning hose) to have any hope of making it through this kind of storm with your fish tank. Saying that, my FO tank survived nearly a week wo electricity when Key West was hit by Hurricane Georges. I got a gen after that.

The predictions and the evac declarations were really messed up telling everyone from So FLA east coast to evac which left no gas or even hotels for the folks on the WEST coast. I live in Tallahassee and we were in line for a direct hit. Shelters and hotels were eaten up by everyone from So. Fla east coast and the gas stations were empty the day before the storm was supposed to hit. There we no hotels in any neighboring states as I was looking to evac myself. Thankfully it moved away from us because we were basically sitting ducks. Houses up here not built for storms whatsoever.

florida joe

Thanks Beth I have a good friend that lives in Key Largo and he said the keys are unrecognizable. As far as the gas cans go. There was so much gas hording here that I just filled up one can but filled up my three cars thinking I could siphon gas from them as needed. BIG mistake. It seems cars have a anti- siphon system you can get the tubing in BUT it does not get to the gas there must be holes in the neck of the fill tube somewhere and impossible to access with the tubing

2quills

Just need something small enough tubing to fit through those butterfly valves. 1/4" tubing i hear works.