RODI WATER

rodi water and replenish for slatwater or just plain rodi water and the salt mix........if i use rodi water for freshwater what do i need to do to it....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Gothicrose. Not sure what you are asking. If you are talking about topping off your tank due to evaporation of water from the tank, then you just use RODI water wo salt. Please explain more.

i want to switch to using rodi and saltwater mix salt instead of using boxed water for my saltwater tank. i know that top offs are done with ro or distilled water with no salt added....i just need to know what if anything i need to add to the rodi water for when i start mixing like replenish or ro right prime i want to get this right so i can stop buying boxed water......as for my freshwater tank i was told i could use rodi water as well after i added the above mentioned chemicals by SEACHEM

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You do have to mix the RODI with the salt in a separate dedicated tank or bucket (I've used a plastic kitchen garbage can). Obviously it should be rubbermaid type or glass, never metal. The mixing should be with a pump in the water and mixed for min 24 hrs, 48 hrs is better. Test salinity, preferably using a refractometer, and if not, a high quality glass hydrometer (never plastic swing arm). If you have a heater, you can heat that water to match your tank water, but that's not usually necessary if your room temp is not significantly different than your tank. Just keep in mind you don't want to dump very cold water in to your tank that will change the temp of the tank water. Not sure why you need to add prime. If you are actually using RODI water then dechlorination is not needed. Where are you getting your RODI water?

i havent yet gotten any my local culligan water company put in a do it yourself thing where i can drive up and get my own without have to lift untill i get home i just wanted o make sure that for saltwater all i needed to do was just add the salt......AND then if i use RODI water for freshwater what i needed to add to that to use it for freshwater.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to add anything to FW RODI. You test your mixed salt water and, if necessary, make adjustments there.