Fire Fish Attacked

Iowa Clown

Hello. I have a forty-gallon aquarium that has a fire fish, royal gramma, two clowns, and two kupang damsels. The aquarium has been set up for a year and a half, and all of the inhabitants have been in there for a year together. This morning I found my fire fish lying on the bottom of the aquarium with his fins torn up. I have not previously seen any aggression. He is still breathing. Is there anything I can do to save him? Also, who is the likely culprit? If he dies is there any other fish I can safely put in there?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully, you have to ability to remove the injured fish to a quarantine tank.

Iowa Clown

Well, I removed the fish to a quarantine tank, but he died anyway, which is unfortunate. I'm just really surprised because I never saw any aggression before. If I choose to replace him, any advice for a better tank mate?

lmforbis

You have two damsels in a 40 gallon. Unlikely you’ll ever be able to add something else successfully.
You could try something like a shrimp goby that occupies a completely different part of the tank. I think you will still have aggression issues.

Jesterrace

Damsels are cheap and colorful but terrible tankmates. I would ditch them and then go from there. Firefish and Dartfish in general are arguably the most easily bullied fish in the saltwater trade.

samie

I lean towards damsels but it could be any of them
i have a similar problem. i have a 30 gallon saltwater fish tank with a sea anemone, fire fish, clownfish, and lawnmower blenny. i woke up today to find my clownfish dead with bite marks. who was it because i have no clue?

Jesterrace

I watched my fire fish take a bite out of my watchman goby.
That's a new one, my Diamond Watchman Goby is definitely more assertive and would bite any fish that got too close, although it's warmed up to my Wrasse and they tolerate each other pretty good. About as brave as I saw my Purple Firefish was when I had my flame angel and it would wait for it to turn it's back and then pop out again.