what kind of zoa is this?

jussery17

Hey does anyone happen to know what kind of zoanthid this is? I was thinking maybe fire and ice but not 100% sure... also, how fast do these spread?
WIN_20171016_192535.JPG

lmforbis

Sorry no clue. The names don’t mean a lot. They are just different colormorphs. Many are the same species. Usually a fancy price goes with the fancy name. Zoos in general I haven’t done well with. Some spread faster than others.
Be careful. They do contain a toxin. Depending on the species of zoo or paly they can be very toxic. Best to use gloves when handling them and wash your hands thoroughly afterward. It is not common to have a problem but best to play it safe, There have been a rare few who have been hospitalized, usually from boiling a rock and breathing the toxin that got into the air.

jussery17

Yeah when I got these I also bought a big box of xl gloves lol... thanks for the warning! Being hospitalized bc of these little guys sounds horrible!

I also have been very tempted to buy either two Mars Aqua 165w full spectrum led lights or one long 300w mars aqua led light....i have read different things on both lights but would like to get some opinions on if these are good or what? They are reasonably priced as I'm can't afford kessils or anything, but only have a two bulb t5 fixture and a superbright LED DIY light that I have on my 75g and really want something to make the tank look a whole lot better and help grow the zoas and frogspawn .....and any other corals I may add, maybe palys

lmforbis

I’ve never used that brand but have used a similar brand. It is a reasonably priced option. BRS did a lighting comparison with the “Chinese black boxes”. They concluded they will do the job build quality isn’t as good as the higher end lights but they will grow coral.