Beginner corals

dustintx

So I'm thinking I will try my hand at corals in a few months,maybe less. I'm thinking I'd like to start with Zoanthids and Green Star Polyps.

Any other suggestions for beginner corals?

dustintx

So I forgot to mention as I just looked at pics of kenya trees. The other day I noticed a 3/4" coral growig on my live rock and it looks exactly like kenyas. Not sure if its alive though or died and just kinda there.

Thanx for the input Jay!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Most soft corals are good for beginners and they are beautiful. Just be sure you can address lighting and environmental requirements.

snakeblitz33

If you have any test kits, I suggest testing your parameters to see where they are sitting before adding some corals.

Make sure you have proper lighting as well.

Green star polyps, mushrooms, anthellia, zoanthids, Xenia, ricordia, tree leathers, finger leathers, toadstools, protopalythoas... Those are all good choices.

When running a soft coral tank, I suggest feeding with phytoplankton at least once a week and make sure you keep an eye on calcium and alkalinity - especially when adding leathers.

Happy reefing.

Jesterrace

Most soft corals should be good. Mushrooms, kenya tree,cloves,ect
Agreed. I have a soft mushroom that ended up going through a cycle, had it's base stem snapped, been covered in sand, been transferred from one tank to another and it still pops up. It is the epitome of a zombie coral. My hammer and frogspawn have also proved to be super durable.