New to salt water

Alfonso

Hello I’m new to the salt water hobby have a 6 gallon Nano tank with sea sand and live rock be running for two weeks. Test water parameters seems to be good. How long before I can get some coral frags and on crown fish? In which order should I do it?

silverado61

What are the test result numbers of everything your testing for.? What test kit are you using? What procedure are you using to cycle your tank? I wouldn't add anything yet till we know these answers.

Alfonso

What are the test result numbers of everything your testing for.? What test kit are you using? What procedure are you using to cycle your tank? I wouldn't add anything yet till we know these answers.
Yes Clown fish! I tested for the following Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 0 / ph 8.4 water temp is around 76 deg and used Insteat Ocean Hydrometer specify gravity is 1.024 salinity was 33 used the API Marine saltwater test master test kit. These are the readings on the first day of tank setup? Today the specific gravity is 1.022 salinity is 29 temp is 79 deg / ph 8.0 / Nitrate 0 / Nitrite 0 / Ammonia 25 ppm second week tank running.

silverado61

Yes Clown fish! I tested for the following Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 0 / ph 8.4 water temp is around 76 deg and used Insteat Ocean Hydrometer specify gravity is 1.024 salinity was 33 used the API Marine saltwater test master test kit. These are the readings on the first day of tank setup? Today the specific gravity is 1.022 salinity is 29 temp is 79 deg / ph 8.0 / Nitrate 0 / Nitrite 0 / Ammonia 25 ppm second week tank running.
Your salinity needs to go back up to 1.024-33. Lower your temp a couple of degrees. Ph I think should be at 8.2. What are you using to kickstart your cycle to get the beneficial bacteria established?

Last edited:

Alfonso

Using one bio sponge / Marineland diamond blend media Ammonia neutralizing zeolite blend / bio balls and Fluval biomax biological filtration.

lmforbis

No clown fish in a 6 gal tank. It is way too small.

No livestock until ammonia is 0 and stays 0 with daily ghost feedings.

beaslbob

It would make a good refugium for a 20g tank tho.

I recommend you start the tank with macro algae then do the rest.

Psst you could try a common molly to see if the tank is ready.

my .02