55 Corner Tank Ideas

I have a 55gal corner tank with one Clown and one Yellowtail Blue Damsel.

I have two fluval 406 canisters for filtration.. due to a sump being out of the question for this type of tank.

We had some major issues when we started the tank a yr ago, so we took it slow and now it’s all good. I am looking to add two or three small fish or maybe a good colorful mid size fish. I just don’t want to cause any issues with the other two. So any ideas on what would be nice to add.

I am also looking to add some coral now that it’s been stable for the past 6 or 7 months. I will post a photo of the tank tonight when I get home. Please let me know types of fish and easy starter coral. I’m looking for a lot of color.

jay0705

The tank dimension limits your fish options. A few options to look into are hawk fish, dwarf lion, diamond gobys

That’s the issue I ran into so I figure it’s best to ask before we buy. My wife is wanting a yellow tang but I told her we need a larger standard tank.

In just a deal for a 95 gal with sump capability. The price is 599 with stand and light. Sump and all the goodies are sold sperat. So I think I may be upgrading soon.

lmforbis

A yellow tang need a tank that is at least 4’ long and probably at minimum 90 gallons. I’d go even bigger for a yellow tang as they like to swim. You could maybe do a lemon peel dwarf angel. Similar bright yellow color but will do better in a smaller tank.

Is it possible to have coral in this tank with fluval 406 canisters? I have two canisters, two heaters (in case one fails) one hydro koralia powerhead 1500 gph, and a current led marine reef light.

silverado61

Is it possible to have coral in this tank with fluval 406 canisters? I have two canisters, two heaters (in case one fails) one hydro koralia powerhead 1500 gph, and a current led marine reef light.
Current Marines of fine for Softies and some LPS but I wouldn't recommend it for SPS. What wattage are the heaters?

lmforbis

I’d replace the two 200 watt heaters with 2, 100 watt. Heaters fail on as often as off. You don’t want an over sized heater getting stuck on. It will cook your tank every fast. I like to have just enough, I use 2 100 watt heaters in my 120 they do a very good job keeping the temp good in the winter. If one gets stuck on it gives me time to see the problem and same with one getting stuck off the temp will drop slower allowing me to see the problem before it gets too cold.

I didn’t think of that .. i has an overheating issue last month but I caught it and shut one off. Now it’s good again. I will replace it with a smaller one

lmforbis

I use an aquarium controller. Not an expensive apex, mine is a cheap reef keeper lite. It can control other things but I use it for the heaters. It shuts odd the power to the heaters when the water gets above the set point. It also has an audible alarm that tells me if the temp is above or below the limits I set.