5g reef

snakeblitz33

I tested alkalinity this morning. It came out to be 11dKh. So I was able to drop it some with the 50% water change.

Tested calcium this morning. It was sitting at 360ppm. I put 3ml of seachem reef fusion in the tank. Hopefully that brought it up to 420ppm. Just going to take some practice and patience to get everything well balanced.

florida joe

That is the reason I caution new hobbyists when they want to start a small tank. An experienced hobbyist such as yourself sees how difficult it is to put things in balance and keep them there it can be a daunting task for new comers to the hobby

snakeblitz33

Not exactly difficult, to me anywsys. Most corals are also pretty forgiving.

I guess you do have to have a certain amount of chemistry knowledge to maintain a small reef. I'm going to go home this afternoon and test it again to see how much 3ml of that seachem reef fusion 1 solution brought it up. It should be around 420ppm, but we will see.

I wish my LFS sold seachem reef salt already mixed, but he uses regular instant ocean. If I did a one gallon water change every week with a quality salt mix, I wouldn't ever have to worry about adding chemicals to the tank. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of having to mix it myself either, a gallon at a time.

If I did, I might switch over to a very high quality salt like aqua vitro or better. But I don't see myself mixing salt when I can go buy a gallon for a dollar.

Everything looked like it was doing good in the tank as of this morning. I hope to go home and find it still in a favorable condition. It's kind of funny, when you get enough critters in there's you really start to care about it like it's your baby. Lol.

snakeblitz33

I added 3ml more seachem reef fusion 1 this morning. That's calcium for people who don't know what it is. I also added some amino acids to the tank.

I'll check this evening to see where the parameters are at.

The corals are popping out and looking g good though.

snakeblitz33

I'll have to do a water change on the tank tomorrow. Something seems a little off with the tanks inhabitants. Zero nitrate, zero phosphate. Calcium was at 400ppm and alkalinity sat at 10dKh. Nothing really wrong with the water quality from my experience.

I did smell the water and it has a little odor, so I replaced the chemipure blue.

I'm gonna buy a digital thermometer next to keep on the counter. I'm afraid that the little titanium heater I have isn't doing a very good job.

Anyways, I might wait a little while for pics.

snakeblitz33

Wow. Within 15 minutes a little bag of chemipure blue cleared up the tank and made the smell go away. The corals perked up too. Awesome. I'll definitely keep it in the system.